Scars

It had taken almost an hour for Echo to dress. She had been so focused on what she was feeling when she touched the cup. She gave one last glance at herself in the mirror and left the room with her Stele in her pocket. When she entered the control area she found Lydia tapping at the screen.

Echo felt a sudden urge and she walked toward Lydia. Something inside of Echo told her that she could trust Lydia. Lydia turned when she saw a flash of red in her vision.

"Hello Echo."

"What happened at the Jade Wolf?"

Lydia lowered her Stele, "A Forsaken attack. Everybody is fine."

Echo folded her arms, "A Forsaken? Why would Valentine create a Forsaken?"

Lydia gave a small shrug, "I wouldn't know. Perhaps he needs soldiers."

Lydia was about to look away, but something caught her eye. She pointed to Echo's collarbone.

"Your rune."

Echo looked down at saw that her Angelic rune was suddenly disappearing.

"Is it disappearing?"

Echo's stomach dropped; she couldn't think of a single excuse, "Uh, yeah it is."

"I have never seen that happen before."

Echo rubbed the sudden bare skin, "Yeah, well a lot of things are happening that shouldn't be."

Echo suddenly spotted Alec and started toward him, but Lydia stopped her.
"What is that supposed to mean?"

Echo licked her lips, "It's complicated."

"So uncomplicate it."

Echo pulled her arm from Lydia's grip, "Come with me."

Echo walked toward Alec as Magnus retreated.

"Alec."

Alec looked over at the two Shadowhunters, "My rune disappeared."

Alec glanced at Lydia, "Uh, which one?"

Echo noticed Alec's hesitation toward Lydia, "Lydia was the one who noticed it. The Angelic rune."

"Care to explain what is going on?"

Echo handed Alec her Stele and answered Lydia, "Valentine injected my mother with demon blood when she was pregnant with me."

Everything in the room sudden seemed to stop. The Stele on Echo's collarbone didn't move and Lydia held her breath.

After a slow second they both moved at the same time.

"What?"

Echo swallowed, "I have demon blood inside of me. I was Valentine's experiment."

Echo watched as Lydia's mouth opened and closed like a mechanical fish. Alec finished the rune and handed the Stele back to Echo. Finally Lydia spoke.

"How long have you known about this?"

Echo shook her head, "Only a few days."

Lydia gave a single nod, "Who knows about this?"

Echo glanced at Alec, "Alec, Isabelle and Maryse."

Lydia's eyebrows furrowed, "Clary doesn't know?"

Echo shook her head, "No."

Lydia set her shoulders, "This stays between us. Nobody else must know about this." She didn't wait for an answer; she spun on her heel and walked away.