Chapter Twelve

Jim turned instantly and I barely noticed a second man, that I'd never met before, standing next to him. For some reason, said man was soaking wet.

"Ferris!" Jim responded in kind and enveloped me in a warm hug. I could have cried in joy but all my tears had run out.

"Oh thank god," I said before finally letting go. A tidal wave of relief had washed over me in a matter of seconds.

The unfamiliar man, who was still dripping wet, looked at us curiously.

"Is that yer' girlfriend?" The wet man asked, gesturing to me with a noticble Scottish accent.

"No, Scotty, she is my sister," Jim said as if it was obvious.

"Ohh. Good then! She's not taken," The man named Scotty said jubilantly.

I grinned in spite of myself but Jim's attention was suddenly diverted as his gaze fell just past my shoulder. I followed his line of sight to see Spock, who had just now entered the bridge.

I was certainly still upset with him but at the moment it seemed nothing could dampen my mood.

"Hey there Spock! Guess who's back?" Jim greeted gleefully.

"While I am appeased by your return," Spock began, getting right to business. "I must ask how you manage to board this ship."

"You're the genius you figure it out," Jim countered.

I too was most thankful for his return but Spock had a point.

"Wait, Jim, how did you do it?" I asked curiously.

He waved it off. "I'll tell you later," He insisted.

"As acting captain of this vessel, I command you to answer me," Spock ordered.

"Well I'm not telling, acting captain" Jim said with a knowing smirk.

A flicker of irritation swept through Spock's dark gaze.

"Does that frustrate you? My lack of cooperation? Does it make you angry?" Jim asked.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Jim was purposefully trying to piss off Spock. Although, perhaps he was doing it deliberately.

Why? I didn't know.

"Jim, what are you doing?" I whispered curiously, just loud enough for him to hear me.

"Just go along," Jim replied quietly and gave me a look that said he had a plan. My mouth twitched curiously and I decided to comply.

Spock ignored Ji. and turned to Scotty who was still dripping all over the floor.

"You are a member of the federation. Under court penalty of the council you must answer me," Spock ordered once more.

Scotty opened his mouth to speak but Jim cut him off.

"Don't answer him," Jim snapped.

"You will answer me," Spock resaid, his voice growing tight.

Spock looked ready to snap.

Scotty looked between them. "I'd rather not take sides," Scotty decided.

"Escort them to the brig" Spock said dismissively.

"What is with you Spock? Your planet was just destroyed, your mother just died, yet you don't seem the least bit upset?" Jim pressed, taking several steps toward Spock.

"Your presumption that these experiences are affecting my ability to command this vessel are inac- Ha!," Jim interrupted. "And you said fear is necessary for command! I mean, did you see that bastard's ship? Did you see what he did?" Jim needled, now obviously trying to get under Spock's skin in any way he could.

I took a step forward, unsure of what to do.

"Yes I di- so are you afraid or not?" Jim asked cutting him off once more.

"I will not allow you to lecture me over the merits of emotion," Spock replied stiffly. His tone defensive.

"Then why don't you stop me?!" Jim asked as the rest of the crew watched in silence, not sure what to do.

"Step away from me," Spock warned.

"What is it like? To not feel? Anger. Heartbreak. To not want to avenge the death of the woman who gave birth to yoy?!" Jim yelled, getting even closer to Spock.

I swallowed nervously as Jim continued to antagonize the Vulcan. I still didn't know why he was doing it but I feared Spock would retaliate soon.

"Back away," Spock insisted, his voice now dangerously low.

It must not even compute to you. You don't feel anything! You must have never loved her at all yo-" Jim was cut off as a fist collided with the side of his face.

Spock had snapped.

Spock followed the first blow with a second that was directed at Jim's exposed stomach. Spock was no drunken brawler at a bar. It was like watching a machine.

Jim could hardly defend himself and I found myself unable to react until Spock suddenly wrapped his hand around Jim's throat.

"Spock, stop!" I yelled as I instinctively charged at the man strangling my brother. I barely even laid a finger on Spock before he planted a jab in the center of my chest with his left hand that pushed me in the opposite direction.

I fell backward upon a control panel, stunned for a couple of seconds. I could only watch with wide eyes as Jim clawed feebly at Spock's hand.

"Spock!" A masculine voice finally said from in front of me.

With a hand on my chest, I looked up to see the source of the voice. It was a Vulcan male who might have been Spock's mirror image if it weren't for the grey hair and dark, unfeeling black eyes.

It was his father.

Spock finally released Jim, who fell to the floor in a heap, trying desperately to get his breath back. I was at his side instantly, helping him sit straight. 

"God dang it Jim, what are you doing?" I asked quietly, but I knew Jim wouldn't be able to reply. His neck was already bruising. He could only gasp for air.

Spock was breathing heavily and confliction was written all over his features. His eyes met my pale blue gaze for a split second and for the first time, I could see right through him.

He was emotionally compromised.

I couldn't even be upset with him.

"Doctor, I am no longer fit for duty. Hereby relinquish my command on the grounds I have been..... emotionally compromised. Please note the time and date on the captain's log."