Chapter Nineteen

I walked steadily to the medical wing, waving hello at several of my crew mates as I did. I then suddenly ran into Jim as he came down the hall with a stressed expression.

"Hey Jim, are you alright?" I asked curiously, walking with him since we seemed to be headed in the same direction.

"Fine Ferris just fine," He claimed with a tense tone but then sighed. " Actually, Scotty just quit."

"What?! No way," I said with furrowed Jim's expression was serious.

I'd lost my favorite engineering chief and scotch buddy.

"Oh, and your boyfriend keeps second guessing me every chance he gets," Jim said as we entered an elevator. "Sorry, that was inappropriate."

I made no effort to correct his statement.

"But honestly, sometimes I just want to rip the --- Bangs of his head," Jim claimed.

I still didn't say anything and briefly drifted off in thought.

"Well, maybe it's just me," Jim said shrugging.

"No, it's not just you, Jim," I quickly said.

Jim turned to look at me but I continued looking straight.

"Hold on, are you two.... having a fight?" He asked.

"I would rather not talk about it," I said but he quickly butted in.

"Oh my god! What is that even like?" He said just as the elevator doors opened and it just so happened that Spock was standing right in front of them. He rose a brow at us but I simply walked past him.

"Ears burning?" I over heard Jim say to Spock who most likely looked confused. As he always seemed to look these day.

I stood next to the captain's chair and soon joined a conversation with Chekov and Sulu. As we chatted, I couldn't help letting my eyes wander about the room. I noticed Uhura at her station, quite obviously staring at Spock.

Regardless of Spock's status as taken. Many women still pined for him.

Jim walked up to his seat and sat down.

"Say, Chekov, you have been shadowing Mr.Scotty, you are familiar with the ship's inner mechanisms?" Jim asked and Chekov smiled shyly as if being caught.

"Affirmative sir," Chekov answered, smiling his cute smile that could make anyone melt

"Well then, you are my new chief engineer. Go put on a red shirt kid," Jim said much to my surprise as well as everyone else's on the bridge.

Chekov could barely register his words or his incredible promotion. "A-aye captain," Chekov answered. I gave him a pat on the shoulder as he stumbled out of the room.

"Uhura, please open a ship wide channel" Jim ordered, causing her to finally stop making coy glances at my boyfriend in hopes that he might actually look her way.

"Channel open sir."

"Attention crew of the Enterprise, as you know Christopher Pike, former captain of this chip, and friend, is dead. The man who killed him was fled to the Klingon home world where he thinks we are unwilling to go. Per admiral Marcus, it is essential that our prescience goes undetected," Jim said and then paused, looking at Spock. "That being said, I will be leading a landing party onto the surface of Kronos where we will capture the fugitive John Harrison. So that we can return him to earth to face judgment for his actions. All right Kirk out, let's go nail the son of a bitch."

"Captain, I believe you have made a smart decision, and would be happy to accompany you as a member of the landing party," Spock said coming up from beside me. Regardless of our current quarrel, his presence was automatically reassuring.