Chapter 2

Azelynn woke up to an empty dwelling and a note on her bedside table:

Leftovers in the cupboard, see you tonight

-Arrin

It took Azelynn a matter of minutes to pack what few belongings she has. She stared at her shelves with a frown. Considering she sold everything to buy herself free, this room holds almost nothing. Every piece of furniture belongs to Arrin and his owner. All that Azelynn owns is the clothing on her back and a few more articles of clothing in her satchel.

She stared at the barren room for a moment, remembering what it was like moving in almost a month ago. It is no exaggeration that it took everything she ever owned to buy herself free. All Azelynn had with her is her clothing and the speeder that her owner thought was 'useless' because it's so old.

She turned her back on the room. She expected to feel some kind of nostalgia for leaving it behind, but she doesn't.

So why does her walk to the front door feel much longer than usual?

It could be the familiar voice in her head that is repeatedly echoing:

See you tonight

See you tonight

See you tonight

Azelynn could feel her stomach roll with every syllable. Her heart pounds when she thinks about what she's actually doing, and that she's not even telling her best friend. A friend she might not ever see again. A friend that has moved the galaxy and Tatooine for her when she needed it.

But she cannot focus on Arrin right now. It will weaken her, make her feel like she shouldn't do this, and stay. She needs to find her mother, and not feel held back because of guilt.

Outside, Azelynn grips the strap of her bag a bit tighter. The double-suns shine their blinding light but fail to warm the coldness that's settled on Azelynns skin. She walks down the street towards the hangar bay and resists the urge to look over her shoulder.

It's a short distance to the sea of hangars, so she doesn't need her speeder. At least this way she's able to leave something for Arrin. Even if he doesn't get much use out of it, given that he has a speeder of his own, then maybe he can sell it to someone who would find it worth buying.

When she arrives, she takes a moment to watch a few ships fly skyward and disappear into the atmosphere. This is one of the smaller hangars. Mos Eisley is the biggest, but it is too far for her to travel to which leaves her with a limited selection.

Besides, it might be safer this way. There are fewer people to see her sneaking around.

As she gets closer, Azelynn bites back her nerves about flying in a ship for the first time. Not to mention she will be hidden, and alone.

She remembers a time when she was little, she would run off after her shift with her owner and watch the ships take off into space. It was always so mesmerizing and calming. She told herself that one day she would be on one of those ships, taking her far away from the horrendous sands of Tatooine.

Little did she know her fantasies would end up like this.

Azelynn watches around a corner as two men converse about something in a foreign language. They are distracted enough to let Azelynn sneak behind them and into a long, narrow pathway that leads her to the opposite side of the building. Here, Azelynn finds a row of ships of all shapes and sizes. They are stationed outside and sitting idle, the suns reflect off of them and force Azelynn to squint.