Chapter 16

A/N: Oh look I finally updated! I must confess that my mind has drifted to other fandoms and I ended up doing some reading and writing for those instead of focusing my attention here (oops), plus school and work and life gets in the way, you know how it is :/

I updated the cover since I last updated, as I'm sure you've noticed by now. I'm rather proud and fond of it, even though it's not perfect, I'm decently happy with it for now.

AtS has reached 2k and I couldn't be happier for that. I wouldn't have gotten here without you guys so THANK YOU! It makes me extra sorry for the upcoming angst (hehe), but I promise it will be worth it in the end.

May the Force be with you!

--

By the time Azel reaches the palace the air has grown into a biting cold. She holds her arms around herself until she is in the semi-warmth of the elevator.

The rest of the way to the room is uneventful. Inside it's much warmer but the comforting temperature does little to coil the ice in her heart with the thought of Arrin captive.

Azel ransacks the room, neatly of course to avoid Obi-Wan's questioning, and picks apart every which place Obi-Wan would keep the comlink.

On his person, her mind supplies after a short time of searching.

Kriff, she should've thought of it sooner.

She will have to lift it off of him, which isn't a problem. The problem is finding the heart to deceive him in such a way. She hasn't pick-pocketed since she was a girl who just lost her mother, and that is not a person Azel wants to relive.

She sighs, deciding that it's her only option.

However, she may not see him until the ball this evening so she might as well pass the time by finding something to wear. The closet is massive and has several pieces of clothing from casual to ballroom elegant. Azel browses the dresses in search for one she likes, and instead finds a few. She's never had a reason to wear a dress before and it excites her to finally have the chance. She pulls out three different color and style dresses to try on, loves all three of them, and settles on one after contemplating for longer than necessary. It's nothing over the top, just a royal blue gown that fits her curves and loosens around the waist to fall freely; there is a slit at the bottom where her leg is exposed up to the thigh. She pairs it with black heels and trips three times when she decides to try them on. It takes almost as long as it did to choose a dress to walk in them without stumbling like Arrin when he drunk too much.

She changes out of the dress and shoes to save for later and puts away the discarded dresses when she feels it... that pull. The one she's felt a few times before but never had the chance to act on.

She follows the feeling and knows what it leads to before finding it. Hidden in the closet is the brown wooden box that Obi-Wan carries with him. Azel never had a chance to look inside and wonders if now is the opportunity, but this is Obi-Wan's personal chest. Is she invading his privacy? Is this wrong? Most certainly.

Does she open the box anyway? Absolutely.

How's that old saying go? Curiosity killed the Jawa? She brushes the wives-tale aside.

She opens the box quickly, like ripping off a bacta-patch, and stares at the object inside it.

There lay a weapon of a Jedi, a weapon Azel saw with her own eyes only once in her life, a lightsaber.

Her confusion outweighs her awe. Obi-Wan never discussed the weapon in all their training, and she assumed it's because it's a weapon that draws attention so there wouldn't be a point in teaching her about it.