18

Mitchell seemed different today. It didn't look good to Calum. He was a bit afraid to go near him because he wasn't all that great at cheering people up. It looked almost as if he was drowning in himself and he was just allowing it to happen. And Michael seemed like the incredibly happy one today. It didn't make any sense. Of course it didn't make any fucking sense.

Calum hung his shoulders low throughout the entire day until school hours were over and he could approach Mitchell without feeling like it'd be a mistake. The male had his back against his motorcycle, a cigarette in his hand, and it was almost like his red hair was on fire. He legitimately looked like he was about to burn. "You shouldn't be here."

His leather jacket was burning his skin as his silhouette stood underneath the horizon, and he didn't seem to mind it. Calum wanted to rant to him about how it was unhealthy to do something like that, but he just kept his mouth shut. He knew Mitchell wouldn't do anything about it. "You've looked. . sad all day."

"I'm always sad," Mitchell laughed, blowing out ringlets of smoke from those parted pink lips of his. He was hot, but he was sad, and it was amazing how someone who looked so perfect wasn't as perfect on the inside after all. "Always fucked up, always a disappointment, always a choice."

"I'm sorry," Calum frowned, placing his hands on Mitchell's shoulders so he could rub them, but Mitchell just shrugged them off and scowled. "Please don't. You don't have to feel bad for me. I don't want you to."

"But isn't that what you do, -- you make people feel bad for you?"

"Yeah, but not today. I feel like there's a million eyes watching me and talking behind my fucking bad about how terrible of a person I am, and I can't take it anymore. Everyone thinks I'm an asshole. Nobody likes me, and I guess I get it. It's shocking that you like me."

"You're hard not to like. People think you're an ass, but they're still falling for you."

"For my brother," Mitchell corrected. "Michael is the perfect one. Always has been, always will be."

"Mitchell," Calum sighed, looking down at his thumbs because they gave him more attention than Mitchell was at the moment. He was just staring off into space because he was sad and he was trying to figure things out. "I don't know what happened, but I'm here for you because I love you and I know deep down, you love me too. . Please don't give up on me just yet."

"I have to."

Calum didn't understand. He felt bewildered as he stared into Mitchell's deep green eyes that just held so much pain and regret. "I'm afraid I'll hurt you. I'm afraid you'll get hurt under my watch. I'm no good for you."

"What do you mean?"

"Otto was killed because I had to leave him in that damn car on his own while I went to handle my fucking needs that didn't even really matter that much now that I think about it."

"But he chose to stop the fight."

"Stop," Mitchell grabbed onto his head and pulled it down towards his ribcage. It felt like his demons were full-on attacking him today and he couldn't handle it. "I met somebody."

"Who?" Calum asked, voice cracking as if the world was just scrunching into the bottom of his hand. "Do you know Awsten?"

"Please don't tell me you're seeing him too. Michael already is."

"No, I'd have to be an idiot to see Ashton's cousin," Mitchell reiterated with furrowed eyebrows. "I ran into Awstens best friend the other day. Name is Kate. Super pretty, super funny, super down-to-earth. You have to meet her."

Calum held his head low as he processed the information he just received. "So you're giving up on me because you just met somebody else?"

"You don't get it," Mitchell shrugged. "I'm doing this for you and for my brother. Sure, he gets everything. . but he never gets something as special as love, and that's -- that's why I'm letting you go. For him."

"What the hell is wrong with you? You -- you don't even like your brother."

"I like him enough to know that he cries every night because he thinks that he's not even an option anymore, and that you like me more."

"I do like you more. You . . . you're just different."

"God Calum, don't be so ignorant," Mitchell chuckled once again, finally putting out that cigarette that was suffocating the Maori. "You can't possibly like me more. I'm moving on. I'm going to go out with Kate. She's different, and Michaels different. You two would make a great pair."

Calum really felt like crying. Is it because he couldn't decide on who he wanted? "How can you move on so quickly? As if we didn't -- as if we had nothing this entire time?"

Mitchell set his helmet back on his motorcycle and grabbed Calum's hands. The brunette flinched and tried to pull back, but Mitchell wouldn't let him. "What we had was everything to me. You were helping me forget about what happened in the past. But I can't -- I can't replace Otto. Not after he died. He doesn't deserve that."

"Is that why you dress like a punk and act like you don't care about anything, even though you care more than your brother?"

"Yeah," Mitchell smiled sadly, placing his body on his motorcycle. "I loved you too, but I need you to go after my brother. I'm tired of being the worlds most hated person. Maybe holding it to Kate will get rid of some of this regret."

"Do you regret going out with me?"

"Not at all." Mitchell looked broken. Almost as if this was too difficult for him to say. "I loved it. I loved our trips to Cape Appledale. I loved getting you those concert tickets that I fought so hard for."

"Are we still going to that concert?"

"No," Mitchell sighed once again, "I want you to take Michael. You two belong together."

"This hurts so much," Calum frowned, and Mitchell leaned in to give him a hug. "Can I -- can I meet her? The one who makes you so happy?"

"Kate?" Calum just nodded. "Yeah, yeah you can meet her. She'd love to meet you."

"Okay," Calum smiled. He was sad but he'd get over it.

"Now go find Michael. He's probably at home waiting for you to come back."

That's exactly what Calum was going to do.

-

A/N;

Thoughts?

Life lesson; don't hate Mitchell until you know who he truly is. He's a good person. He loves Calum and he just let him go because he knows Michael wants Calum more. He is great. I love Mitchell. Stop hating him.

1-800-CALUM there ya go, I finally put you in this book as promised. Ily Kate.

Ily all and thanks for reading this book. See ya later! 💕