5|Seatmates

5|Seatmates

She entered the Transfiguration classroom and since she was early, only 5 students were inside. Three Ravenclaws, 1 Hufflepuff and Malfoy. Draco Malfoy.

“Since when did Draco Malfoy come in for class early?” She thought.

She took a seat in the front and looked at the time. It was 10 minutes until class starts.

After a few more minutes, she realized that it is the perfect time to thank Malfoy for the book so she stood up, walked towards Malfoy and sat beside him.

She did receive some confused stares from the crowd as she sat but it didn’t bother her. After all, she is not sitting beside Malfoy for the whole period. She is planning to come back to her seat after thanking him.

“What do you want now, Granger?” he asked as she took the seat.

“Thank you for the book.” She said politely.

“What’s with you and books anyway, it is as if your life depends on it.” He commented.

“Well, I guess you would never understand.” She replied and stood up.

She was going to come back to her seat but she saw that it was already occupied. All the seats were already occupied except for the seat beside Malfoy.

“Good Morning everyone.” Professor McGonagall greeted them.  ”Miss Granger, where is your seat?”

“There is no vacant seat left, Professor.” She lied.

“Professor, there is one right here.” It was Malfoy and he was smirking at her.

“Ms Granger, sit there.” She pointed towards the seat next to Malfoy.

She grumpily sat beside Malfoy and avoided him as much as possible.

“What game is he playing?” Hermione thought.

“There is no game, Granger.” She didn’t realise that she said it aloud for about 3 seconds and then she finally understood what Malfoy is talking about.

“Am I talking to you?” She asked.

“If not to me, then who are you talking to? Your book?” he replied sarcastically.

“I just wondered why you are being nice to me lately.” She confessed.

“Let me get this to you straight. I am not being nice to you or whatever.” He said coolly.” I was just thinking you need my help.”

“Need your help? Help for what?” She laughed.

“Help with your problems. After all, I’m a good listener.”

“Am I hearing right? Draco Malfoy is offering help to a mudblood?” She emphasized the word ‘Mudblood’.

He flinched as she said those words but he replied anyway.

“Isn’t that great? It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.” He joked.

Hermione was about to reply she was cut off by Professor McGonagall.

“Okay class dismissed.” McGonagall said and students went rushing outside the room.

“I know you can’t resist my help, Seatmate.” He said and went out the classroom.