Chapter 10

a/n: This chapter has not been rewritten, please be patient with me and I'll work on getting the new one posted soon :)

Adelaide's POV

We returned to the Bureau as fast as we could. I prayed with all my heart that it wasn't Broom, I prayed that Red wouldn't have to deal with this right now. We arrived, only to confirm what I already knew was true.
Agents scattered the room, examining everything in it like a crime scene. My eyes lifted to the podium to see Brooms body lying below it, a small pool of blood on the floor next to his head.
My legs moved involuntarily towards him, Red on my tail. I made my way to the body and saw a stab wound on the back of his neck. Broom was murdered... but how the hell could someone break into one of the most top secret and secure facilities in the United States? Only one person could have done this: Rasputin.
A tear slipped from my eye and down my cheek as I looked up to Red. He slowly bent down to his father until his knees hit the ground. He wrapped his arms around him, Brooms head now laid in Red's lap. Tears stained his cheeks and I felt my body go numb.
He was just here, I was just talking to him an hour ago, now he was dead.
I knew what I had to do now, I had to see Dean. I had to tell him I could never see him again. He doesn't need me anymore, Red needs me, now more than ever.
I slowly backed out of the room, hoping Red didn't see me leave. I borrowed a car from the Bureau and drove to the motel where Dean was staying.
I didn't see the Impala in parking lot, but knocked on the door anyway. Dean pulled open the door cautiously, his shoulders relaxing when he saw me standing there.
He pulled me into a hug and welcomed me into the room. I saw Cas sitting in the room as well, Sam nowhere to be seen.
"Where's Sam?" I asked.
"Food run." He answered.
"I'm glad you're here Adelaide," Cas began, "I was going to see you but you saved me the trip. I have some information you might want to know."
"Well, uh, sure go for it." You said uneasy, you came here for another reason and you needed to talk to Dean.
"Ever since I found the grace inside of you I've been looking for the angel that it could belong to. I've come to the conclusion that that it is your own grace." Cas began.
"Is that even possible?" You asked curious now.
"There's this legend, an angelic bedtime story if you will. The story goes that after God made Lucifer, he made a girl. Anastasia. She was very close with God and Lucifer. She was beautiful and perfect, so God wanted to share her beauty with humanity, his favorite creation. Her fate was to walk Earth as man and never know of her angelic power while she was alive. Anastasia means rebirth, after she dies on Earth she returns to heaven for a short amount of time until God finds the perfect parents for her to be reborn to. God knew Lucifer's fate and wanted to protect her from him, so he sent her to Earth. She always lead a good life, and was given free will. It was more of a social experiment for God, a test, to see how she would act. She would always rise to small power and fame, but always alone, she never truly fell in love. After Lucifer fell and it was her time to die, instead of returning to heaven as she did in the past, she returned to hell to spend her time with Lucifer. He listened to her and trusted her like no one else. She had a gift to be trusted and fit in wherever she went. She fit in with humans, angels, and demons. Adelaide, I believe you are Anastasia." Cas spoke.
"So you're saying I'm Anastasia, I'm named after some Russian princess?" I asked, not believing him.
"Actually she was named after you..." Cas said, I turned to Dean to see if he was buying any of this.
"This is insane Cas, this is just a story, a myth, I'm not some ancient angel." I argued.
"I think you might be, it would make sense how Lucifer trusted you during your short stay in hell." Cas tried to convince me.
"But Cas I wasn't reborn, I was brought back into my own body." I said.
"It makes sense as to why the grace belongs to no other angel." Dean butted in.
"You too? Ok, you said that Anastasia had no prior knowledge of being an angel, how do I have grace now?" I asked, skeptical.
"Maybe someone put it back when they removed the walk, do you remember meeting anyone or something since then?" Cas asked and my eyes opened wide.
"There was this man... this voice... he said i needed to return to the child, that I should once again dream of my power... I heard his voice in my head before Crowley came to see me. I only saw him for a second. He was bald, had sunglasses on, with a beard and a Russian accent." I explained.
"Rasputin." Cas said, my heart sunk thinking of what Rasputin was capable of and what he had just done.
"After a few thousand years the story goes that Anastasia died, because she didn't appear in heaven, hell, or on earth. Some think that God was punishing her for choosing Lucifer, so he sent her out into the darkness, where the truly evil and ancient monsters live. It's possible that that's where you might have met Rasputin, that's how you knew him, there's also a chance you met Hellboy there. That's how you two have this profound bond in such a short amount of time." Cas said, and for some reason I believed him
"This changes nothing guys, It's still me, I'm still Adelaide." I said.
"Your grace means you heal faster than mortals, there might be some other things you can do, but there's no way to know since you were so unique and ancient Anastasia." Cas said.
"Don't call me that, my name is Adelaide, Cas." I scolded.
"I'm sorry, this might take a while to sink in. I believe you came here to speak to Dean for a different reason so I'll leave you two to talk." Cas said.
"Thank you Cas." I said as he vanished.
"That's a lot to take in, you sure you're okay?" Dean asked.
"I'll be fine, don't know how I'm going to explain this to Red though." You smiled.
"That's why you're here isn't it?" Dean asked.
"Actually yes. Dean, you're my past but I don't know if you're my future." You said quietly.
"And you think he is. He's a demon, Adelaide!" Dean yelled.
"Well apparently I'm an angel! Dean, if you really loved me you need to let me go." I cried.
"I loved you so much, you were mine, and I let you get away." Dean said, shaking his head.
"Dean, after your case is closed here I think you need to leave and never come back." I said, a tear ran down my cheek. I turned the knob on the door to leave. I saw it was pouring outside.
"So this is goodbye?" He asked, I was now standing in the rain and he came to meet me in it.
"If things were different Dean." I shook my head, pulling him into one last hug.

When I made it back to the Bureau I was soaking wet from the rain. I still didn't know what to believe, was I this Anastasia? I walked down the hallway to Red's room, water dripping from my hair as I walked. I knocked on his open door. He sat on the side of the bed with his head in his hands. He looked up to me and I saw how much pain he was in. I ran towards him and wrapped my arms around him. He squeezed me tightly.
"I'm all yours Red, I'll always be here for you, always." I whispered to him.
"No Dean?" He asked pulling away, still jealous.
"I told him he needed to let me go. He's my past Red, but you're my future." I hugged him, crying again.
"I don't think I could go through this without you." He said," It's just so sudden, I feel responsible, like I ended on bad terms with him."
I began to cry harder.
"Red listen to me, he didn't want you to know this, but he was sick, he didn't have much time left. This wasn't your fault, Rasputin did this, but his time was coming soon anyway. He wasn't mad at you in the end, I promise." I said.
"How do you know?" He asked, looking up to me."
"Before I left to find you, I was with him. He told me to take care of you, he said he loved you more than words. He could never stay mad at you, Red, he loved you so much." Red smiled.
"It's getting late, Red." I said, beginning to stand. He grabbed my wrist.
"Please stay, I don't want to be alone tonight." He said, and how could I refuse?
"Of course I'll stay." I said. After a few minutes, I fell asleep with my head rested on Red's chest. I felt his arm wrapped around my waist, and I smiled. After not being able to sleep in three days, I drifted into a deep sleep.