Chapter Twelve

-Percy’s POV-

Everything was absolute chaos. Apparently everyone’s security systems were shot, since everyone was making a mad dash in all different directions. But I wasn’t running along with them. I didn’t join in with the hundreds of feet hammering down on the shaking earth, my voice wasn’t going sore from screaming my lungs out (yet), and my arms weren’t flailing by my side as I ran to either the nearest armory to help fight or just away from the ensuing madness.

I guess this is where it all went extremely, heartbreaking, life-changing, and terribly wrong.

I watched in horror as the window glass shattered and a cannonball the size of a mini-car flew through the living room, destroying the couch and rolling to a stop in the kitchen. It barely missed Annabeth, but debris from the end of the couch caught her in the chest. As Annabeth collapsed, I caught her head just in time as her back hit the floor.

            “Annabeth!” I screamed, dragging her away from the danger zone and into our bedroom. I looked into her dirt-smudged face, and wished to see her beautiful, stormy eyes to open and for her mouth to tell me the plan of which I know I can’t come up with without her. I just really need my Wise Girl back.

            “P-perc? Where are we?” Annabeth muttered quietly.

            I let out a relieved sigh and kissed her.

            “Percy? I’m fine, and we need to get out of here. We need to help!” she sat up a little too fast for my liking. I honestly don’t want her to fight especially since she’s pregnant, but she’s been trying to convince me that 2 months of baby does not limit her to a bubble. Although the bubble does seem like a pretty safe option right now, there’s a feeling that comes when you’re seeing your home destroyed. After all, Annabeth’s fatal flaw is her pride, and camp is definitely something she’s proud of, and I think every camper is too, but I don’t know what I’d do  if she got hurt.

            There’s one thing that comes when you’re dating/are engaged to a daughter of Athena, and that’s that she’s most likely aware of the fact that she can outwit you at any given time. Annabeth is no exception.     

            We raced out of the door, weapons in hands, and down the hallway to the staircase at the end of the hall. We covered the first flight with no problem but as soon as we got to the first landing, we stopped. At the little stairwell window, we watched in horror as demigods formed their choreographed planks against our enemy: a towering form made out of pure grey-wispy smoke. It didn’t have any facial features but it was most likely 25 feet tall. It looked as if it had one goal and one goal only: to destroy everything. It was making progress.

             I turned to face Annabeth, whose brain was probably already processing a battle strategy as she watched somebody’s makeshift plan outside.

“Hey, Wise Girl, it’s gonna be okay,” I said lightly, tucking in a piece of her wild blonde hair. “But whatever happens, I’ll always love you. Okay? Great. Let’s go.”

I take her hand and pull her towards the next set of stairs and soon we’re in the cool night air. I catch a glimpse of Clarisse, who was shouting order to flank of Ares, Hephaestus and the few Dionysus campers we have. To my left, Connor Stoll was running by, silver sword in hand.

“Connor! What happened? Where are you going now?” I shot question after question at him, not giving him any time to answer before calmly and firmly saying, “You know what, come with us.”

Connor followed behind Annabeth who was shouting out for Piper and I was shouting out for Jason. Eventually, we heard them both commanding their own fleet of about 6 demigods. I’m guessing they started with more, and even Jason and Piper were getting run down. All the flanks of demigods were fighting one side of the giant, but the misty vapor from whatever part the demigods were fighting seemed to be fighting back, harshly.

Annabeth, Connor, and I were about to join in to the newly merged flanks of Jason and Piper’s when we heard battle cries from the smallest flank that was fighting, which was composed of only 3 very young demigods, most likely only 12 years old. Annabeth and I immediately switched to their flank.

Oh my gods, are these kids insane? They’re gonna get killed!

Their leader was a light-brown haired boy with a used-looking knife, who was showing no fear-whatsoever. There was also a blonde-haired, pale-skinned girl with a gleaming gold sword, with smudges of dirt smeared all over her face, and a dark-haired boy with tan skin and a wooden bow with obviously ‘special’ arrows. He looked exhausted but very accurate in his aim, but no damage of any of the three’s weapons seemed to affect the monster. Actually, none of our weapons seemed to make a dent.

            The mist was making a wispy trail winding towards the trio, when Annabeth and I jumped in front of the unsuspected and focused group. Annabeth and I started battling the mist as if it were a one-on-one, person-to-person situation. The young demigods backed away in awe, but then poised themselves into battle position, shoulder to shoulder just in case. The mist seemed to be relenting just as a hooded figure started running through the crowds of demigods, bobbing and weaving towards our group. Annabeth and I’s weapons were still raised in the air as the mist was receding little by little.

The hooded figure drew nearer as I thought, “What’s that smell? *sniffs air*Oh my gods, its-

The figure collided into Annabeth, who started sprawling into the mist as I screamed, “NOOO!!!!!!! ANNABETH!!” I looked around for the hooded figure, who disappeared. “The mist! It’s poison! Acid! Annabeth!”

I heard screams of pain as the giant vanished, just was suddenly gone, as if it were never there, and it revealed an unconscious Annabeth.

My first thought was: Is she alright? What about the baby?

-Annabeth’s POV-

Beep. Beep. Beep.

In the background, I hear muffled shouting and sobs.

Suddenly, as if I were being pulled up, I am lifted away into a ‘dream’.

“Annabeth, you’ve been so brave, sweetheart. I am so sorry this had to happen. You, Percy, and so many others were looking forward to this, as was I. But everyone has their one fate. And hers, hers ended too soon for everyone’s liking. But trust me, she’s being regarded with fair judgment and will be offered Elysium. Poseidon and I have given our respected opinions to Hades himself.”

My mother was dressed in a Greek toga and flawless dark hair. But two things were different. The toga was a solemn black and there were silent tears in her eyes. The room was a blinding white and I was sitting on a firm chair. Athena was sitting, staring through a small window in the corner of the room, while talking to me, the words clearing ringing in my ears.

“Mom, what’s going on? Where am I?” I asked, not taking my eyes off my grieving mother.

The goddess turned to face me fully and said, “Annabeth, I don’t want to be any more selfish than I already have been with your time. But I want you to know, I am blessing both you and Percy with the strength to get through this, and to remind you that even though we might have failed in the past, Poseidon and I will be here for both of you. Always.” Her bold, yet sad, eyes looking at me lovingly and in a comforting way.

“I love you, Annabeth, but it’s time for you to return to him and her. Remember to stay strong, and that you’re not alone.” She half-smiled at me and the scene started to fade.

All I could think was, what could possibly be waiting for me?   

OKAY BEFORE YOU GO HATING, I AM VERY TRULY SORRY ABOUT THE EVENTS IN THIS CHAPTER. IT IS MY STORY AND MY IDEAS, SO NO HATING. CAN I JUST SAY: LONG. CHAPTER. AND ALMOST 10K READS? AHHHH THATS INCREDIBLE!!! AND I DID ANNOUNCE THE BABY GENDER IF YOU DIDNT CATCH IT IN THERE...YUP, THIS WAS MY PLAN ALL ALONG, BUT DONT WORRY!! YOU'LL SEE WHY SOON:)  OH ALL OF THE CHARACTERS AND SOME PLOT BELONG TO RICK RIORDAN AND A COUPLE FANDOM REFERANCES OF HARRY POTTER YEAH THEY GO TO ANOTHER GODDESS, J.K. ROWLING! I LUV YOU MY AWESOME READERS! PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT IF YOU LIKED ANY PART OF WHAT YOU READ, IT REALLY MAKES ME FEEL SPECIAL AND EVERY COMMENT MAKES MY DAY! AND I'M OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS! IF ITS BIG AND PLOT-TWIST THEN PRIVATE MESSAGE PLEASE!