Chapter: 18

When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves. ~Viktor E. Frankl  

The Italian Estate: Royalty 

Gianna Pov

"What!" Adriano and Matteo growled in disbelief. Shocked, I stood beside Adriano, attempting to keep him calm, though deep down, I knew it would be an uphill battle. His breathing grew heavier, and I understood that Miliana didn't need her brothers going rogue at this moment.

"H-Wh-" I paused, taking a deep breath to slow my racing heart and steady my nerves. Walking over to Miliana on the bed, I sat beside her, with Leena and Yana following suit. I gently took her trembling hand in mine. She seemed frozen, but when she felt my touch, she looked up at me, tears streaming down her face as she clutched her stomach. "Oh," I murmured and pulled her into a comforting hug, doing my best to soothe her. Miliana was pregnant, adding another layer of complexity to her already challenging situation. It was clear she might not even be fully prepared to take care of herself, let alone a child.

"Do you know who the father is?" Adriano bit out each word, his seething anger evident on his face. His jaw clenched, and his eyes were sharp with frustration.

"I'm sorry, I can't determine the father without a paternity test. Since she's more than 8 weeks along, we can do a Non-Invasive Prenatal Paternity test," Mera informed us. "But the challenge lies in obtaining a blood sample from the alleged father. If Miliana doesn't know who that is, our hands are tied."

"Well, if she knew who the father was, then the test would be unnecessary, Mera," snapped Matteo, his frustration mirroring his brother's.

Leena stood up and approached Mera. "Aside from this, is there any other health concern we should be aware of?" Leena inquired, struggling to keep her voice steady. Mera let out a sigh and shook her head. "Her wounds are mostly healed, and her vitals are stable. Her memory is intact, so apart from the pregnancy, she's in good health."

We all breathed a collective sigh of relief upon hearing those words. Miliana sat up, pulling away from my embrace, and sniffled, her voice hoarse. "No, you don't have to go through all this trouble. I know who the father is," she cried out.

Adriano stepped closer to her, kneeling down to her eye level, his piercing blue eyes locked onto hers. "Who?" he asked, his voice chilling me to the bone.

She let out a sigh. "Roman Alexeev."

I gasped, my heart sinking. "My father," Yana whispered, disbelief evident in her voice. Adriano took a sharp breath. "How do you know?" he demanded.

"He never let anyone touch me, except him," Miliana replied, her words dripping with hatred.

I released her hand, wiping away my angry tears. I was seething with rage on the inside. That despicable, repulsive excuse for a father. Leena whispered to herself more than anyone else, "How come she doesn't even look three months pregnant?"