Chapter: 20

Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for. ~Bob Marley

●○●○●○●○●○●○●

Gianna Pov

I lay in Adriano's arms, unable to hold back my emotions any longer. All the pent-up frustration and the constant stream of bad events in my life, not just affecting me but also the people I've grown close to, overwhelmed me.

Life in the Mafia felt utterly unjust. How could anyone truly live and find happiness when their very soul was entangled in the Mafia's web?

Tears flowed uncontrollably, and I sobbed until there were no more tears left. Adriano's comforting presence enveloped me as he held me close. The memory of his previous kiss broke through my chaotic thoughts, grounding me. I gasped for breath, my eyes stinging, and my palms trembling.

But I felt a sense of relief. Letting out all those bottled-up emotions, sharing my inner turmoil, lifted the weight that had settled on my heart. It was a lonely feeling, one I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I glanced up slightly, meeting Adriano's stern gaze. With my trembling hand, I gently cupped his cheek, my fingers tracing his stubble. I could sense his tension and rigidity, but right now, I didn't need the Capo; I needed Adriano.

I extricated myself from his embrace, positioning myself on top of him, and laid my head on his chest. He instantly wrapped his strong arms around me, providing a sense of security that only he could offer.

"It's okay, amore," his rough voice whispered in my ear, punctuated by tender kisses on my temple. "I'm so sorry."

I bit my lip, desperately trying to hold back another sob that threatened to escape.

"Y-you don't have to be sorry," I stuttered, attempting to gain control over my emotions. Lifting my head, I looked into his stormy blue eyes.

"I want to help, amore. Please tell me what's wrong?" He pleaded, his eyes filled with genuine sadness. I didn't want to be the cause of his unhappiness, and the fact that I was weighed heavily on me.

Wait, did the Capo just say "please"?

It was highly unlikely that he used such a word lightly, if ever. "Please" carried connotations of vulnerability, an admission that you needed something from someone else. It was a term for those who begged, and for Adriano to use it with me shocked me to my core.

I sniffled and shook my head. "Nothing," I muttered, attempting to change the subject.

He firmly grabbed my jaw, making me look into his intense eyes. "Please tell me. I can help, amore. We have to be open with each other. Please," he begged, his eyes holding nothing but sincerity.

Taking a deep breath, I nodded, realizing that he was right. If we were going to build a strong relationship, we needed to be open about our feelings. I had become so accustomed to hiding my emotions from myself that I didn't know how to be open with someone about them.

"I... Your father scares me," I mumbled, and his eyes shifted from soft to stormy once again.

"What did he do to you?" He growled, his hands gripping me tighter as concern mixed with anger.

"He just showed up today and said that I wasn't going to be around for long," I muttered, averting my gaze from his intense stare. That had been part of the reason why I had broken down.

"I can assure you that's not going to happen. Not while I'm alive and breathing," he declared in a deadly tone, his eyes locking onto mine, leaving no room for doubt about his determination.