Chapter: 19

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
~Wayne Dyer

Gianna Pov

Over the course of a couple of weeks, life in the estate became somewhat chaotic. Miliana was slowly coming to terms with the fact that she was pregnant. The reality of it was still surreal for all of us, and her mother had finally come around to talking to her.

It was a beautiful and heartfelt moment shared between the two of them. Two souls that had been torn apart were now slowly finding their way back to each other. It was an indescribable experience.

However, this newfound connection also brought a sense of loneliness. Yes, I was surrounded by people every day, and I had my wonderful friends and Adriano to love and care for me. But there was a specific kind of loneliness that only a mother's touch could alleviate. And even though my own mother hadn't been much of a mother figure, it didn't mean I couldn't miss her presence.

That feeling of loneliness was exacerbated when Adriano was working tirelessly to track down Roman, my father. He was rarely present at night or during the day. We had come to the conclusion that since I was always in his room, I should just move in. I had done so about a week ago. I had grown so accustomed to having his large body enveloping mine while we slept that when he wasn't there, it became difficult to fall asleep.

Adriano would often retire late and rise early to continue his relentless pursuit of Roman, leaving me alone for long stretches of time. While I understood the urgency of finding Roman, it didn't mean I wasn't feeling the emotional strain of his absence.

Yana and I managed to catch a brief glimpse of each other, but it wasn't for long. She was busy with work, and Adriano had made it clear that I wasn't allowed to work anymore.

"But why?" I tried to argue my case. "It would give me something to occupy myself with when you're busy."

He tightened his arms around my waist, his eyes drilling into mine. His face was stern and resolute. "Because you are my Queen. And no Queen of mine will be working," he declared, his voice leaving no room for further debate.

I knew there was no point in arguing any further. He had won this one, and I would have to accept it.

After that conversation, I refrained from questioning him on the subject of me working. When Yana wasn't occupied with her job, she spent whatever little free time she had with Matteo. He and his men were constantly busy, leaving their women waiting for their attention.

Yana and Matteo had a thing going on. They were adorable together, and Matteo displayed a possessiveness over her that was endearing. I was genuinely happy for them; seeing Yana happy made me happy too.

Leena used her spare moments to be with Giovanni. He, too, was occupied most of the time, but unlike the rest of us, they had to hide their longing for each other. She still hadn't confided in her brothers about their secret relationship, and I feared what might happen when the truth inevitably came to light.

As for me, I was conflicted. Every time I was around Adriano, that undeniable sexual tension would rise between us. Even though he had stated that he would wait for me to make the first move, I wasn't entirely sure if I was ready for that step.

However, over the past few weeks, my feelings for Adriano had grown stronger. I couldn't imagine being without him now that I had him all to myself. All those rumors and depictions of the great and feared Capo Adriano Basilio were not entirely inaccurate. He could be ruthless and heartless when the situation demanded it. Yet, underneath that facade, he had a substantial heart. He had generously revealed it to me, one small piece at a time, every day, in the hopes that I would reciprocate and offer him a piece of my own heart in return.