CHAPTER 6~The Heartbreak

Siddharth's impetuous feet scurried after her. If he wasn't wrong, he saw tears in her beautiful eyes, he being the one provoking such reaction out of her. He wanted to punch himself, kick himself.

He never meant to hurt her, even if making her jealous was one point. Nancy or Naina whatever her name was, kept her hand on his thigh and he knew that was inappropriate. He was about to snap at her when he saw Tithi, her hand stopped as she saw them and it looked like she was about to break down.

He went after her and saw one of her friend standing in front of the Ladies washroom asking her to let her in.

"You asshole. Why did you come here? Leave before I kick you where the sun doesn't shine." Her friend glared him.

"I want to see her. Let me just go inside." He said, sweat forming on his head.

"Don't you have enough sense? You're the one because of whom she is inside. Everybody saw what happened out there. So just shut it." Her friend yelled at him.

"I was going to tell her to stop it. Just please go inside and make sure she is alright. I know it's my fault and I'm sorry. I know I am the biggest asshole but just please check on her. But I won't leave until I know that she's fine." He said in an apologising tone. Her friend frowned at him but then nodded her head.

She went inside and Siddharth kept his ears at the door, trying to hear when he heard a loud sob. He closed his eyes as his heart broke.

***

Tears were flowing out of her eyes and it seemed like they would never end. She was bawling uncontrollably when her friend hugged her. She was crying so hard that it was becoming difficult for her to breathe. She kept weeping for what felt like hours, wailing as her sobs became profuse.

Sometime later, the tears stopped. But the ache was still there. She moved away from her friend, trying it difficult to laugh at her miserable life, she broke down again only to voice out what she was feeling.

"Why did he have to be here? Why did he have to come here and ruin even one good moment that I was having. I was so excited to be here, thinking meeting old friends would make my mood better. That I would forget about that amazing first kiss, that pain I felt when I saw him regretting it. But no. He had to come here and make sure I don't get even a tinge of happiness. You know why I am sad Aliya," She let out a humour less chuckle, "I am sad not because of Nishita, I don't blame her at all! She has always been like that. And I think that is because she never really had friends. I never hated her even after she used to bully me in middle school. Because she had no importance in my life! She was never close to me that I would feel bad because of her."

She paused and a sob escaped her, "It was something I expected from her. I never had a boyfriend, even though there was Abhimanyu who proposed me, I didn't feel that connection with him that people in love feel. Then a few days ago, I met him, I felt that strong emotional connect that I had been longing ever since teenage. I agreed to marry him not because of his money, but because I felt like he actually cared for me. That day when we went out, he knew I was starving and ordered my favourite brownie. When accidentally I broke his frame and those glass pieces hurt me, he gently took away all my pain. I swear I saw genuine concern in his eyes for me. He promised me that he'll take care of me like my parents did till now." She snorted, her forehead creasing as if a bad memory was invading her mind.

"You remember Aryan right. He was my first crush, when I was in 6th. I remember going to school, and looking at him." A smile spread on her lips.

"But then I was too shy to talk to him. Or anyone for that matter. It was known to me in 10th standard that he proposed Nishita. Thinking I never had a chance with him, I tried forgetting it. I never gave importance to looks! Never in my life! But even a guy like Aryan didn't seem to mind Nishita's egotistical behaviour or I-Am-perfect attitude. He too was after her because she was pure gorgeous." She said wiping tears of her face.

"I thought there might be one person, just one person for me, who'd marry me for who I am. I know I am not beautiful! I know I am not good looking. And I very well know that I am not slim." Aliya holded her friend by the shoulders for support.

"I thought he was different. I thought out of all the people, he didn't gave importance to looks. But I was wrong. Very wrong. He is just like everyone else. He was smitten by her. Even though he is engaged to me, he was out, flirting with her. I thought this was my man. Who'd protect me, take care of me, love me. But I forgot. I don't deserve happiness in my life! I don't deserve to be loved! I am just a pathetic excuse for a woman!" Her whimper wasn't ending. The air around her was becoming suffocating.

"Actions speak louder than words and I saw the live example out there. Deep down I know he is a good man. He is hurt badly and I can see it in his eyes. But that doesn't mean that he can hurt me too! What am I? A punching bag. Whenever he is angry, he just uses and punches me and then leaves me off?! He shouted at me for flirting with Arjun, who is just like my brother, while its not even been a week after our engagement and he is already out there himself behaving like a bloody philanderer! I'm not even sure now that I want to get married to him." She said trying to calm herself.

"I'll ask my parents to call off the wedding. But Aliya I don't know how to tell them. For the first time in my life, I saw them this Happy. I don't want to be the cause of their doom. And I certainly don't want my in-laws to think that it's their fault. They are such amazing people, I don't even know how they'd react. I don't want to be the cause of their sadness." She broke down, she needed to get all of this shit out of her head. Her friend heard her patiently, trying to cool her down.

"Shh. It's okay Tithi. I am here for you." Her friend engulfed her in a tight hug.

After a few minutes, the tears halted, not the hurtful expression of her face.

"Tithi. I know it's all a lot to take in. And I am not a relationship expert. But I think you should give him a chance. I'm not taking his side just hear me out okay." Tithi nodded as she washed her face only to find her eyes terribly swelled due to the constant crying.

"He was outside and he was coming inside to check if you were okay. I asked him not to come because I knew that he'd be the last person who you'd want to see right now. Don't call of the wedding yet Tithi. Give it sometime. Try to sort this out. My parents got divorced when I was 12 years old. They didn't even try talking about it. If they would've atleast tried, I would've been happy!"

Listening to her friend, she understood what she was trying to say. And she certainly did not want to take a decision when she was angry and hurt.

"Just because of you, I'll give this a chance. I'll give him a chance. But right now, I just want to go home. I need time to think and clear my head. Thank you best friend! I don't know what would I have done if I didn't have you in my life." She said hugging her best friend and kissing her on the cheek.

"What if anyone asks about you?"

"Tell them, a client called and it was urgent." Aliya nodded in understanding.

"And promise me you won't tell anyone about this. Not even our group. It's just between you and me!"

"Cross my heart."

She gave her friend a small smile as she hurriedly made her way towards her home.

***
Small chapter! Hope you like it and if you do, please vote and comment and let me know how the story is so far.