Chapter Three - Off on an adventure

I was woken in the morning by a loud shuffling and a staff being poked into my side. I leapt up and swatted the offending piece of wood and stood scowling at Gandalf, he looked at me innocently. I growled and stalked off grumbling under my breath.

I walked beside the dark haired dwarf, whom I now knew as Thorin Oakenshield easily keeping pace with the pony's short legs, I huffed in annoyance. I knew Bilbo would come, even if the all high and mighty king didn't think so. This is why I hated royalty, they were stuck up, pig nosed fools.

I heard bets being placed on whether Bilbo would turn up, not missing an opportunity to gain money I dropped back and said to them.

"He will come. I'll bet on it"

And then I moved up darting through the cover of the bushes, scouting for danger, even though I was doubtful of any beasties being this close to the peaceful shire. I came out of the shadows and a coin bag was thrown at me. I caught it and looked up to see Bilbo sitting uncomfortably on a chestnut pony. I took the space beside him and said.

"Relax, feel the way the pony moves, bring your hands to your lap and trust that she will allow no harm to befall you" and then merged back into the shadowy tree line.

We travelled for weeks before we even got halfway to the misty mountains. At the present moment we were set up on a cliff overhang, sleeping.

An Orc shriek jolted me awake, and I growled back in response. "What was that?" Bilbo asked fearfully.

"Orcs." Kili replied as another scream sounds. Thorin, who was dozing, jerks awake upon hearing the second scream.

"Orcs?" Bilbo asks

"Throat cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them. They strike in the wee small hours, when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; No screams, just lots of blood." Kili explains as Bilbo pales. Kili and Fili begin laughing at him

"You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" Thorin asks angrily

"We didn't mean anything by it." Kili says eyes flashing with regret

"No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world." Thorin then walks off to the edge of the cliff and looks out over the valley.

"Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria." Balin seems to be taken back into a memory "But our enemy had got there first. Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs lead by the most vile of all their race: Azog, the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King. Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him: a young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc. He stood alone against this terrible foe, his armour rent...wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield. Azog, the Defiler, learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast, no song that night, for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived. And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call King."

Balin came back from his memory "But the pale orc? What happened to him?" Bilbo asked

"He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." Thorin answers turning back towards the company.

I move closer to Bilbo "Some say that Orcs are elves that have been tortured beyond insanity." He looked shocked "But I would not worry, they lost their intelligence as well as their looks when they turned."

"Here, Mr. Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?" Dori asks as he sat wet on his horse.

"It is raining, Master Dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard." Gandalf says, equally as wet as the others.

"Are there any?" Bilbo asks

"What?" Gandalf says confused

"Other wizards?" Gandalf nods.

"There are five of us. The greatest of our order is Saruman, the White. Then there are the two Blue Wizards; You know, I've quite forgotten their names."

"And who is the fifth?"

"Well, that would be Radagast, the Brown."

"Is he a great Wizard or is he...more like you?" Bilbo asks as I supress a chuckle

Gandalf looks slightly offended. "I think he's a very great wizard, in his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forest lands to the East, and a good thing too, for always Evil will look to find a foothold in this world." And with that the conversation died and we continued traveling in the rain.

I smiled gently finding a pattern in the rain, I hopped on my left foot before placing my right foot down and sliding along the muddy ground. I twirled lifting my arms above my head then slid forward and lost myself dancing along the ground in the rain. I began humming gently to a lullaby my mother used to sing for me. Slowly I broke into song.

When the cold wind's a a-calling

And the sky is clear and bright

Misty mountains sing and beckon,

Lead me out into the light

I will ride, I will fly

Chase the wind and touch the sky

I will fly

Chase the wind and touch the sky

Where dark woods hide secrets

And mountains are fierce and bold

Deep waters hold reflections

Of times lost long ago

I will hear their every story

Take hold of my own dream

Be as strong as the seas are stormy

And proud as an eagle's scream

I will ride, I will fly

Chase the wind and touch the sky

I will fly

Chase the wind and touch the sky

And touch the sky

Chase the wind, chase the wind

Touch the sky.