Chapter Twelve - Laying around... outside... in the cold.

I lay on the 'master's' front porch, still bound and in this cold there was no way I was going to phase and go searching for a shirt, I lifted my head as a small servant girl came towards me shaking, Alfrid stood behind her sneering. "Go on" He said "Untie its feet, and bind it to that post" He commanded.

She shook and knelt before me and began to unwrap the rope around my legs "No you stupid girl, tie it to the fence first" He called from a safe distance throwing a coil of rope at her.

She shakily looped the rope around my neck and stood to tie it to the sturdy post a few feet away. She returned and gulped nervously before starting on my feet.

I sprang to my feet as soon as they were free. The girl let out a shriek and fell back, I nuzzled her hair with my snout and looked past her growling at Alfrid's pale face. And began to pace at the length of the rope. Whining.

As the sun set the air grew colder and I was forced to curl up in a ball to keep warm

A commotion draws me from under my tail, and to my surprise the company is dragged up to the door step I stand and move forward, only to turn and growl at Alfrid who pokes his head out of the door to see the commotion.

"Get off of me!" Dwalin calls to the soldier holding his coat

The master comes out still pulling on his coat. "What is the meaning of this?" he asks.

"We caught 'em stealing weapons, sire." The guard I head-butted speaks up

"Ah. Enemies of the state, then."

"This is a bunch of mercenaries if ever there was, sire." Alfrid says agreeing with his master

"Hold your tongue. You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal; this is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!" Dwalin speaks pushing forward and defending his king. Thorin steps forward through the gap the dwarves had made for him.

"We are the dwarves of Erebor." Thorin says gesturing to his company. "We have come to reclaim our homeland. I remember this town and the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at harbour, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake! This was the centre of all trade in the North. I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!"

The townspeople cheer at his statement

"Death! That is what you will bring upon us. Dragon-fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all." Bard pushes through and I watch as Alfrid moves closer to the door and me in fear

"You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this; if we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!" Thorin cries

"All of you! Listen to me! You must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale?!" Bard elicits as silence followed by head shaking from his people. "Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?!" A cry of protest rises from the crowd "And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a mountain-king so riven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!"

Bard and Thorin have a small staring contest. Before the master speaks up pointing at Bard. "Now, now, we must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame. Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast!"

"It's true, sire. We all know the story: arrow after arrow he shot, each one missing its mark." Alfrid steps forward just out of my reach, one more step and he would be close enough for me to grab.

Bard moves forward and growls some words to Thorin who spits and answer back.

Thorin turns to the master "I speak to the Master of the men of the Lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people?" he waits for a few seconds for his dramatic effect

"What say you?"