Epilogue

The coronation came and went, Kili now sat on his uncle's throne, Tauriel by his side. Regardless of the protests of his mother and the older dwarves he had proposed and planned to wed her with in the fortnight. I had kept my promise with Thorin and for the months that preceded the coronation and the weeks after I had not left his side.

As the bustle of the palace embedded in the rock brought me back from the realm of dreams I stretched out phasing into my human form. I turned smiled at the king emerging from his chambers, I took up the position on his left flank as always and followed him to the throne room.

When he was seated, he spoke just as I was to shift. "Elbereth, wait"

I looked at him curiously "Balin, Ori and Dori plan to retake Moria" he explains watching my facial features "I am at peace with my uncle's sacrifice and I will have Tauriel by my side before the moon has waned, your promise has been fulfilled. You have no need to remain here. But Ori seems to think you would be useful" I nod my head

"I felt that my job was done, I would be honoured to help reclaiming Moria, when do we leave?"

Kili smiles "I am glad you understand they leave along with Dain's forces a day from now" I hug him tightly before leaning back to pull a cord from my pocket. I pressed it to his hand.

He draws his hand away and opens it. "Keep it, pass it to your children, to your children's children if you never have to use it. However, if dire times come to pass, blow on it and I will come as fast as I can, once blown it will return to me and lead the way to you, I will find time to make another." He tried to pass it back but I stopped him "Take it as a token of my gratitude for allowing me to befriend you" I then turned and went in search for Balin.

Time had passed again, all in a flap of wings, Dain was truly not the most pleasurable Dwarf to travel with but I dealt with it... Barely. Ori had finished several sketches of me, both in elven and wolven form, he truly was a talented scribe. Camping on the sides of a large lake had its benefits, but I was on edge, something was watching us, I had told Balin so but Dori had interrupted saying it was nothing.

Dain's army had gone to the far entrance and was to push the orcs lurking inside and we were to wait for his signal which he told us would be Orc's fleeing with 'their tails between their legs' I was pacing the ground carving a trail along the bank of the dark lake, I was making sure no one disturbed the stony face of the water. I had been doing this for the four days we had been here, and I was exhausted, I curled up beside the lake, I knew most of the dwarves were petrified of me and wouldn't dare come close to me and before I knew it I had drifted off to sleep.

Next thing I knew was the sound of stones being thrown. I leap up growling and pushing Ori away from the water's edge, it was too late though.

While my back was turned, I saw Ori's face pale, he pointed behind me and I felt something wet curl around my leg, I twisted around and sunk my teeth into the tentacle. It retreats and I relax growling at Ori, scolding him angrily before sniffing him up and down to make sure he wasn't harmed.

I turn to return to my guarding duty but just at that moment the water explodes and several tentacles wave from beneath the surface. I crouch, tail waving dangerously and snap at the tentacle that reaches towards me.

However due to my focus on the tentacle I miss the other one that swings at my side and I am flung into a tent. I yelp and struggle to my feet lunging at the beast only to be thrown to the wall.

Dwarves rush out of their tents yelling a battle cry as I try to fight the black dots that swamp my vision.

The battle for Moria was hard won, the orcs that poured form the hidden door while the Watcher flailed around had been a surprise, to say the least. Nearly half the Dwarven army had been killed or injured. I stay for as long as I could, carving a new whistle, I needed to get Radagast to enchant it when I next saw him.

After the fifth day, I approached Balin "I must depart" I say hanging my head "I have matters to attend to" Balin frowns.

"Why do you insist on being alone with naught but the shadows for company?" I smile grimly.

"Because the shadows welcomed me, they took me as I was, not who they wanted me to be. Once you embrace them you need someone's light to guide you back out. and that is what I hope for."

Balin nods in understanding "Go and search for your One, if you ever need help you shall always be welcome. Remember that" I nod and give him a hug

"I will miss you my dear friend" I released him and he pulled my face down to his level, which wasn't hard seeing as I was already kneeling in front of him. He gently touches his forehead to mine in a sweet Dwarven gesture, I smile before standing and moving out.

First off I had to go and fetch my Laer roch (Gold horse). I had a feeling that it wouldn't be the last adventure I went on with a company.