Chapter Fourteen - On the way to certain death

I lowered myself as the two royal dwarves got off my back, Alfrid watched me wearily, as I sat behind Thorin staring him down, "Not you" I looked to Thorin "We need to travel with speed, you will slow us down" Kili smiles at Thorin's 'joke'

"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

"No."

Fili turns to look at us from the boat "I'm going to be there when that door is opened, when we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin." Trying to get past Thorin again while talking

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed." Thorin cuts him off

Oin clambers out of the boat to Kili's side "I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded." I nudged Thorin's shoulder and whined, I could carry him, granted I wanted to get out of this form, however I would do anything to make sure all of the dwarves got to the mountain.

Thorin pushes me away and I growl stalking onto the boat, and lying down nose near the water and huffed.

Music filled my ears and the master speaks, by the time I decide to listen he is nearly finished

"...Bring good fortune to all!" he exclaims and we start moving. I sit up and howl farewell drawing my friends who slept with me in the snow to howl back, sounding more like strangled cats, but it was sweet nonetheless. I made eye contact with Fili, I bowed my head slightly and he nodded back.

Splash.

I jerked back as water hit my muzzle. I saw the offending silver fish, my paw darted in and hit it back with a yip and a growl.

Flattening myself against the deck I watched the fish and slowly poked out a paw then quick as a flash I batted it on the head and pulled my pay back to under my chest. I heard laughter.

Dwalin was laughing, as was Ori, I let my tongue hang out my paw edging back to the side.

Splash

Ori was hit in the face with a pawful of water and I dropped into the playful position, tail up in the air and jaw pressed against the rough wood of the barge. Just as Ori was about to fling water back at me Thorin spoke up.

"Enough" He growled "I did not allow you to come with us to fool around, sit down and be done with this tomfoolery" I stood up, my hackles raised and head held high, tail upright trying to assert my dominance, I bared my teeth and growled deeply, I saw a flicker of fear in his eyes but he simply reached forward and pulled the small bit of rope that loosened the rope around my muzzle and tightened it.

I pawed at the offending rope and whimper when it doesn't budge, I lower myself to the deck ignoring the horrified stares from the other Dwarves.

I walk slowly over a rise of rock, the dwarf packs on my back as Thorin lead me along behind him

"What is this place?" Bilbo asks

"It was once the city of Dale. Now it is a ruin. The desolation of Smaug." Balin tells him surveying the ruins

"The sun will soon reach midday. Let's find the hidden door into the mountain before it sets. This way!" Thorin calls tugging on my halter

"Wait...is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here. On no account were we-" Bilbo says when Thorin interrupts him

"Do you see him? We have no time to wait upon the wizard. We're on our own." I am pulled along after him as I try to stand on the backs of Thorin's boots.

"Come." And they follow us.

I watch from the rock I am tied to, I can see the entrance but seeing that Thorin is being an Idiot I don't bother to inform them

"Anything?" Thorin asks stabbing his sword into the ground panting

I lie down and huff as much as I can through the tight muzzle

Bilbo points out the stair case I could see and I pulled to my feet gaining several sympathetic glances, if I had the shirt which Thorin has in his pack, and I am pulled up the stair case.