Chapter Thirteen - Royal steed.

The master points his finger at Thorin after a few seconds "I say unto you...welcome! Welcome and thrice welcome, King under the Mountain!" Alfrid steps into my range and within a few seconds I have pulled him below me and my claws are millimetres from clawing his throat out.

"El, Baw" (Stop) I looked up at Thorin and growled at him, for a dwarf that hated elves I couldn't believe he knew elvish. "Drop him" I moved backwards fixing my eyes on Alfrid and growling at him.

"You know this beast?" The master asked

Bilbo stepped forward "Of course we do, have you not heard the tales. The king Thorin Oakenshield rides upon a wolf to mock the Orc's that massacred his kin. This is El, his noble steed" I whipped my head around and growled at Bilbo.

The master nodded "Yes, yes of course I have heard the tales" he lied. "Alfrid free El, for the king under the mountain please" Alfrid gulped and stepped forward and quickly pulled the rope from the post it was tied around and released it, I Lunged at him and growled before quickly slinking to Thorin's side.

Thorin reached the rope around my neck and both ends to the piece of rope under my jaw. "Just go with it alright?" he whispered patting my head. I bowed my head and he slung the reins over my neck.

"Can you really control it?" Alfrid asked and I went to start forward again, I hated how he had a condensing tone to his voice and I lunged forward baring my teeth.

"I can" Thorin agreed, "and perhaps I will show you, but I must gather my equipment." He turned to me "Down El" He commanded and I lowered myself so he could mount. I was going to kill him once we got out of here, I was not a puppet or something to amuse the common folk.

He mounted and I stood and began to walk forward and with the loosened rope around my muzzle I licked a curious child that came too close, she giggled. And Thorin smiled down at her.

He took me to a house, looped the rope around the post as you would a horse, and disappeared inside. It only took a few minutes but he soon came out with the company's supplies before mounting me again and riding back to the master's house.

He turned to enter the house but I whined and pawed the rope around my nose. He dropped the bags by the door and returned.

As he undid the ropes he whispered to me, to anyone else it would look like he was reassuring me "I have clothes for you, once we get out. Do not attack that man again, this is important, aright Elbereth?" He questioned, I bowed my head and curled up at the under the eaves of a nearby house.

"Stay" he commanded before disappearing inside.

I watched the door for a few minutes before a blanket fell over me and a small body pressed up against my side. I looked around, a young boy was snuggled up next to me, I pulled the blanket over his shivering form with my teeth and light footsteps came to my ears and a young girl hugging a cat to her looked down at me, I watched as she moved closer and dived under the blanket, I curled around them tucking my nose under my tail.

When I woke it was due to the heat. During the night I had been surrounded by people both adults and children alike, homeless I guessed due to the masters high taxes. The sun began to rise and the door opened. Alfrid came out and I lifted my head as he came closer, mouth open about to shout something. I snarled silently and snapped my teeth at him. He gulped and moved back inside.

The next time the door opened it was the company, Thorin looked to where he left me last night only to find a pile of people, I lifted my head again and pulled my lips over my teeth, this time in a canine smile. The Dwarves began to laugh jubilantly, which caused the people around me to wake up slowly and stand looking sheepish. I wagged my tail and yipped gently, they smiled and meandered off.

I uncurled which caused the Dwarves to explode into another fit of laughter. Thorin let out a gruff chuckle and beckoned me, I licked the two children who woke up and scampered off the girl still had her little moggie.

I stretched out sicking my tail into the air then pointing my nose up and yawning. I trotted forward to Thorin's side he held out the rope bridle I had on yesterday, I grumbled deep in my chest and obediently held out my muzzle grumbling all the while. He slipped it on and I then knelt next to him.

"Kili, up you get" he commanded pulling his nephew up behind him and when I felt the weight on my back I stood, I could smell the wound on him, so was careful not to jostle him.