Prologue / Broken Glass

"Be back by midnight!" A girl's best friend called, resulting in her to chuckle. "I will!" The eighteen year old replied, picking her jacket up from the coat rack to her left. She shrugged into her jacket, quickly stepping out into the cold air before closing the door behind her. She fixed her hair on her back, planting a nervous look on her face. She hadn't come out of her room in almost two months, except to use the bathroom, and hadn't been outside in more than a year. So being out was slightly... odd.

She shook the thoughts away, planting a smile on her face as she jogged off the steps and into the woods nearby to avoid being seen by the boys who constantly threw rocks at her window. Or blood-drinking vampires, or werewolves. Anything her mind would come up with. But that was probably a mistake.

Quiet laughter hit the girl's ears, causing her to freeze. She was at least fifteen minutes into the woods, she was alone, and had forgotten to bring any weapons, meaning she was screwed.

"Look who wandered into the woods!" A rough teenage boy asked, stepping out from behind a tree. An older boy with nearly the same face shape and features hung upside down in a tree in front of her. "Aww, someone's scared!" The older boy taunted, putting a dark smirk on his face, while the younger chuckled. "I thought your parents would teach you the woods weren't the best place to be." He said.

The girl's eyes were wide and full of fear. The blood-drinking vampires and werewolves sounded about best right now. A soft whimper escaped from her lips, and she turned to the right before taking off running, fear fueling her pace. But both boys gave chase.

She pushed her way through the foliage that blocked her way. And eventually, she found herself in a meadow that was basically one-way-escape-routed. She skidded to a halt, her arms flailing in a circle motion as she tried to keep upright. She spun on her heel, seeing both boys stepping through the foliage. It was still dark out, meaning she couldn't see either of their faces, except for the basic shape of them or their basic height, but that was all.

"Stay away!" The girl shouted, newfound courage in her voice as her gaze jumped between both of them. A small squeak escaped her lips, and after a moment, neither of the boys responded, but instead cornered her.

"A different timeline would definitely be useful right about now!" She squeaked to herself—a saying she normally used in bad situations like this. But she never expected for it to work.

She gasped suddenly, sitting upright in an apartment room. She blinked a few times, looking down at herself to, at least, find she was in her shorts, tank top, and jacket from moments ago. Jumping to her feet and rushing into the on-suite bathroom, she stared at herself in the mirror.

Only to find a highlight bleeding into the iris of her right eye. Her eyes went wide as she stared as the color spread across, and she oddly found herself shrinking slightly, into her height from when she was fourteen. Then she saw her phone on the counter and snatched it up, knocking an eyepatch down over her eye in the process, quickly opening it to see the date was October 9th, 2016.

She had gone back in time.

By three years.