Chapter Five / The Parting Glass

Entry 5;

Well, I'm still here. Spring's just started, and we've been doing okay... so far. I've honestly grown attached to the new friends I've made, and I think I may be meeting more, at least soon. I've told Jack, Jill, and Jane about some of the fillers and kept this a secret, while only showing Jeff and Toby the first entry of this to explain what happened.

Oh, also! I found out why Toby and Lyra's names were so familiar. It's because they were in my own timeline, and had been Mark and I's best friends for a long time. Or, they were.

I'm hoping soon that Toby and Jeff get to meet the other three. I think they'd get along—at least decently, if not well.

We also haven't seen anything of the other three silhouettes from the fire/my nightmares. At least they haven't been following us.

Jack has also been doing quite a bit better. He's not as jumpy as he was that week; I honestly think none of us are as jumpy as we were that week.

I still have Toby's jacket, since he told me to keep it. I've seen a corner store I need to stop by and grab something for him in to repay, but I haven't exactly had the time, with the constant rain and whatnot.

But I think today's the day I get to do that.

At least, I hope.

Sincerely,

You

I was on my own and was making my way towards the corner store mentioned in my diary entry when I signed off and sat it in my bag, looking around as I pulled it a little tighter around my shoulders. I pushed through the door, hearing a bell chime softy as I looked around.

"What can I help ya' with, lass?" A man asked, his voice thick with a Scottish accent. I gave a kind smile, stepping over. "I'm looking for something to repay a friend with." I replied, giving a gentle nod. The man nodded, putting his own smile on his face.

He was maybe in his late sixties, and his hair was thinning and graying in places. His eyes had a bright green, while his smile was contagious. He seemed like a nice man.

"Aye, Nichols!" He called, and within seconds, a young boy stumbled into the room. "Yeah, Boss?" The boy asked. His hair was thin and brown, while his skin was a slight tan. His eyes were chocolate brown, and he was well muscled for a kid his age—which happened to be around eighteen or nineteen.

"Why don't you help this lassie?" The older man suggested, and the boy turned to me before nodding. "Sure." He smiled, stepping over before quickly handing me his hand. I shook it quickly. "I'm Jack Nichols." He introduced, and I nodded. "I'm Synnova. An old friend of mine and I bumped into each other earlier this year, and he lent me a jacket to keep. So, I'm looking for something to repay him with." I shrugged, and Jack chuckled as he nodded. He led me over to a used item section, holding his hand out. "I'm sure you might be able to find something he might like here. If not, let me know. I'll be right here—and mostly because some of the shelves like to fall, so be careful." He warned, earning a laugh from me as I nodded and walked towards the shelves.

My eyes caught a pair of orange steampunk goggles, as well as a black mouthguard with a painted smile. I turned to them, glancing around the shelves before gingerly reaching over and picking them up. "I think this will be alright." I said, turning to Jack as he nodded. He led me back to the counter before stepping behind it, ringing up the goggles and mouthguard.

"Five nineteen." He smiled brightly at me, and I fished a ten dollar bill from my pocket, handing it over. "Keep the change, seems like you might could use it." I chuckled, and Jack nodded. "Thank you, ma'am. We appreciate it." I waved the formality off. "It's nothing."