Chapter Seven / Saviour

Entry 7;

I haven't seen anything of my own timeline since the flash of it last night. But something is telling me I haven't had the last surprise of the week yet.

I've met with Toby's boss, who offered me a place to stay in the mansion for the time I'm in this timeline. He's even given me a couple of hints—such as 'finding your parents' murderer will be the key to getting you home' but I'm not sure what he meant by that. I just know that now, I'm on a hunt for the one who killed Ma and Pa in this timeline.

But it's a little odd. They're still alive in my own—but they're dead here. I'm not sure why. It's... just odd.

I don't know.

But I think my entries will be shorter from now on.

Because I think I'm nearing the end of my journey.

Sincerely,

You

I never meant to be the one,

Who kept you from the dark.

But now I know my wou—

I cut the phone off midway through the first verse, frowning as I looked at the timer. I'd set an alarm to wake me up at eleven, but I hadn't been able to sleep at all. So I'd gone to my diary and wrote a new entry. A soft breath escaped my throat.

I'd decided last night that I was going to head out on my own in search of the one who killed my parents here. I'd discussed it with the others, who had reluctantly agreed after a few hours of convincing. So I was on my own.

I stood, sitting the diary on the nightstand before quickly exchanging my clothes from yesterday for a pair of black jean shorts, thin black leggings, a pair of combat boots, and a white tank top. I picked up the jacket Toby gave me, then tied it around my waist, running a hand through my hair as I fixed my eyepatch over my right eye. My gaze moved across the room, landing on the diary again. I frowned.

Making my way over, I opened it and ripped a page from the back out, taking the pencil and writing a note explaining where I was heading, and that if I didn't come back, I'd probably have gone back to my timeline. Or, uh, I also stated something... (cough cough) bad (cough cough) happened. I sat my diary and the key to the lock in my bag, and snuck out of the mansion quickly and easily, slipping through the front door.

I had a pretty good idea of where to head, so my feet knew exactly where to go when they started moving. And it took a couple of hours, but I finally arrived.

It was an old hiking trail my family used to travel. And I noticed Mark, Ma, and Pa's graves were just off the side of it. Tears stung my eyes as I slowly made my way towards them, crouching down as I eyed them.

"Ma...? Pa...?" I whimpered softly, looking between the graves. "Markie... I'm so sorry... I could have prevented this..." I whispered, sitting on my knees.

I never heard the footsteps behind me.

"I'm... I'm trying to go home. So... I... I hope to see you guys soon..." I mumbled, trailing my fingers across the gravestone of Mark's grave.

The footsteps grew closer before coming to a stop behind me, which I still didn't realize. I guess I should have paid more attention, and it would have prevented what happened next.

An arm suddenly wrapped around my neck, and my eyes went wide. The arm clutched my throat tightly, cutting my airways off. I struggled, and eventually pulled the arm from my neck before throwing myself away from the graves and the owner of the arm...