Chapter Eight - Jackelope

Jade stared down at the envelope in her hands. It had a return-address from the States, so it could only be one person. At least, if her intuition was correct. She slowly ripped off the top and shook the card out, her fingers shaky.

Dear Jade,

I thought my father's promise of boot camp for me was farther away than this. Sorry for not writing you until now, I lost your address. Wish our first pen-pal exchange didn't go quite like this, but I thought you'd like to know. Guess you could say... I've run out of time. Funny right?

-Will

"No it's.. it's not funny at all..." Salty tears dripped onto her lips, filling her mouth with their taste. She clutched the watch he had sent with the note until her knuckles turned white.

Twigg floated over. When she saw the akuma coming she tried to tap Jade; tried to warn her. It didn't do any good. The ebony insect almost flew into the watch in her hands, but stopped. Two holes appeared in its wings and it dropped to the ground. Instead of purifying, or flying away, it simply vanished. A tarantula materialized in its place, solid black and the stuff of nightmares. 

Screeching, Jade thumped her head against the wall. She tried to crawl to the back of her bed. Twigg hid in a jewelry box. If they were up against a new enemy, there's no telling what they'd do with a kwami if they found it.

Those eyes, all those beady eyes. As the tarantula watched her intently, a glowing mask that akuma victims always got appeared in front of her face. She had no idea how this was possible, all her sadness had been scared out of her, now all that was left was fear. Fear, Jade realized, They control you by fe-

"J-Jackelope... Sadness may seem like your enemy, but harness it, and make them all feel your pain! But first... I'll need you to go get something for me..." Her thoughts were interrupted by the controller's voice. Surprisingly, it was Hawkmoth's usual voice, but for a split second, she could have sworn he stuttered nervously.

Like he was under surveillance from something... no someone, like how the tarantula kept an eye on her every movement. But Hawkmoth was Paris' most feared villain! What could he be afraid of...?

~~

Jackelope leaped out through the bedroom window. There was nothing below to catch her, which she realized a second too late, hooking her hand around the flimsy flower-box. She hung on for dear life, struck with fear. Although, this was nothing compared to the last few minutes.

Strangely enough, she had control of her mind, unlike Hawkmoth's usual hypnosis. It was her limbs she couldn't move. But why would the person leading me make such a stupid move? They need me alive to get the miraculouses. Unfortunately, she got her answer a second later as Ivory swooped past to rescue her. "Hold on Jade!" Ivory yelled, thinking she was transformed into Hare.

From her vantage point on the rooftop, she reached down, almost sliding off herself. Once she had a firm grasp on Jackelope's wrist, she dragged her up. "Wait, Jade? What happened?!" Ivory finally got a good look of her. 

Jackelope was all black, including her face, had white freckles like the spots on a fawn's back, and had a pair of antlers to go with her rabbit ears. On the outside, Jackelope smiled. Inside she was screaming.

OUT!! I WANT OUT! She felt like she was pounding on the walls of her mind, with no one to hear her. "Ivory you saved me in the nick of time!" Jackelope winked, motioning to the watch she wore as a giant belt. 

~~

"Jade..." Ivory furrowed her brow in concentration. The face of the watch was black and sparkling, it must be an akumatized item. "Don't worry, I'll fix this before you can count to ten." Ivory told her, reassuring herself more than anything. "Oh I won't worry. My only concern is how easy getting your miraculous will be." Jackelope smirked. 

~~

It was her saying it, and at the same time it wasn't. They were using her voice but those weren't her words. Jade pushed at her confinement as hard as she could, using up all her strength.

Somehow; some way, she was able to squeeze her tears out.

~~

Ivory gaped at Jackelope. She wore a sinister grin, but why were there tears flowing down her face? This was worse than she thought. Worse than she could handle alone. A twinge of guilt for leaving Jade behind, she vaulted off the roof and went to search for the other heroes. 

Ladybug and that darn cat, she doubted Chloe had gotten her act together yet. She rolled her eyes and grumbled. Tweety bird might be needed, as long as she stays out of my way.

Ivory jumped down to the streets and headed for the park. She had seen both Marinette and Adrien there before, and seeing a white wolf girl dash past might be the reminder they need, that they're supposed to be protecting Paris. 

Luckily she was correct, Marinette sat on a bench with a few leaves next to her sketchbook, probably inspiring her designs. Ivory was only half right, because Adrien was nowhere to be seen. She ran behind Marinette shouting, "Ladybug where are you?!" That ought to do the trick.

Jogging through the city, she came to an abrupt stop in front of a clothing store. She almost crashed into a lamp post. Is that? Adrien Agreste was standing in the display window striking a pose, wearing clothes to match the other mannequins. He was slowly inching towards the side by the front door, trying to look inconspicuous. Seeing Ivory, he smiled awkwardly, sweat dripping down his forehead.

Slamming the store door open, she caught the attention of everyone in the store. They were all photographers and models, and from the looks of it a photo shoot was going on. Which must mean Adrien was trying to escape. Doing a poor job of it you numb skull... Ivory figured, she'd already been noticed so why not make a flashy exit. She stomped right up to Adrien and looked him dead in the eyes.

Keeping eye contact, she smashed a fist into the glass window, and shattered it. (She knew Adrien wouldn't get cut because he was dressed in ridiculously puffy winter clothes). Not afraid to step on a little broken glass with her boots on, she grabbed Agreste. "I've heard you know that blasted Chat Noir. Find him and tell him he's needed." Then she ran out.

That pea-brain better take flight before I find her...