Chapter 7- Revelations

"Did you hear about the tombs?" Raina suddenly asked. Arriana stopped writing something on the board. They had spent the last 15 minutes revising what she knew about fire magic, and Raina had been wondering when to ask. Curiosity had burned in her mind all day. Arriana gave Raina a suspicious look.

"What tombs?"

"You know, the ones that are all over the news-ˮ

"I don't watch the news," she deadpanned. Raina rolled her eyes.

"Of course you don't. I bet an owl delivers all of your messages as well, like in Harry Potter."

"Don't be ridiculous! Owls aren't very smart creatures. I prefer ravens or crows. Sometimes parrots, but they're incredibly annoying. Anyway, I only use them when I need to send secret letters, not to receive mail. I gave up on mail since its introduction in the Elizabethan era."

"Why?" Raina asked.

"Because, once I go to all the trouble of setting up an address, I have to move or 'die' a few years later. You can't stay in one place too long, otherwise people start to notice that you don't age, or bleed, or get sick."

"Oh," Raina mumbled. "But still, do you happen to know anything about the tombs? I mean, were you around in ancient Egyptian times?"

"Oh... I was around. Put it that way. You'll have to be more specific though. There are lots of secret tombs in Egypt-ˮ

"Well this one had glyphs that weren't even Egyptian."

Silence. It was as though Raina has dropped a devastating bomb. Arriana was so still that she could've passed for a statue. Raina wasn't even sure that the old woman was breathing.

"And the bodies? Did they find bodies? Did they mention anything else on the news?" she suddenly whispered.

"There were decomposed bodies... and they mentioned something about similar glyphs in the catacombs of Paris. Why? Is that bad?" Raina asked. Arriana's hands started to shake. She turned around, her hands grasping the edge of her desk for support.

"I- I need to talk to Alrick. I assume he already knows... but I still need to tell him," Arriana said, as though she were speaking to herself rather than Raina. Perhaps she was.

Raina watched on as the older Immortali brought out an old, handheld mirror from her pocket. The back of it was made out of highly polished silver with runes cut into it. As Raina watched the runes, their meanings suddenly came to her, as though she were remembering information she'd long forgotten.

Ansuz. Communication, breath, air, intellect.

Algiz

Algiz. Protection.