Chapter 33: Not So Soft

He threw a spear of shadow at the rock. A crack appeared, but he didn't care. Why should he? Death could not claim him. Nothing could. Nothing. Except...

He threw another shadow-turned-weapon at the rock.

That stupid, little girl. That human born abomination.

She could kill him. She had it in her. The power, the power that could level entire cities, destroy worlds, whole dimensions, with nothing but a thought.

The power he so desperately wanted.

No, not wanted. Needed.

He needed that power so that he could rid his world of impurities. Save his people from mortal weakness. From themselves.

He hadn't sacrificed so many of them over the years for him to fail. Not now. Not when he was so close.

If he could just take what was hers, he would be unstoppable. He could disarm The Circle with a flick of his wrist, kill every mortal being on the planet, and then lead the Immortali into a new age of peace and glory. Yes, yes, he could see it now.

He just had to find a way to get that girl.

But how? His Shifter Demons had failed him. His first attempt had failed, and had only alerted The Circle to his presence. Now, it was even worse...

"Oooh, someone's had a stuff-up," a cold voice drawled. He turned around.

"If you have nothing useful to say, Syretia, then leave. You're not exactly in my good graces at the moment."

Syretia smiled, but it didn't meet her eyes. "And why is that?"

"Your plan failed. Now, they'll tighten their security even more. How am I supposed to stop her now?"

Syretia stared at him with a bored expression. "Don't blame me if your demons failed."

"Your demons. You created them, remember?"

Syretia shrugged. "I did, but I never said they were perfect. We both know that I made better resources for you to use."

Samael hissed in frustration. "And we both know that those resources had a mind of their own. Brilliant warriors, cruel, cold and deadly, but not as reliable as they would seem. As soon as I was captured, they- like you- abandoned me."

"But that is simply because, they- like me- are smart. We weren't going to remain a part of a dying cause for any longer than necessary."

Samael thought about that for a moment. "And... if these resources were to learn that I have returned?"

Syretia smiled wider. "I'm sure they could be persuaded to re-join their true master."

Samael nodded. "I'll send Lilith to negotiate with them." Then, he paused. "But... they won't change a thing. She's too strong. With the little experience she has, she's already managed to kill a Shifter Demon. Your resources may present her with a challenge, but I doubt they could completely overpower her. We need something else... something better."

Syretia's face became expressionless. "I've given you all I can. There's nothing more I can do."

Samael glared at her. "Yes, there is. You can tell me her weakness. Something that will bring her to her knees. Something that will rip every fibre of hope and fight from her body and tear it to shreds."

"You say it like I should know it, but the truth is, I know nothing. I've never met her before and I've never seen her in action. I can't help you, Samael."

He turned away, snarling like a wild animal. "No! But there must be something, something I can use against her, something I can..."

He felt rather than saw Syretia hesitate. "She's human born, yes?"

Samael faced her. "Indeed."

Syretia didn't meet his gaze for a few, long moments. "Human borns, from what I know, are extremely attached to their human families. Have you considered using them?"

He sniffed. "Of course. But if I hold them hostage, she'll only hunt me down and release them, fighting with everything she has, the full force of The Circle behind her."

Syretia laughed. "Yes, The Circle are extremely protective of humans. But, you know, perhaps you've gone soft, Samael. It's a risky move, but... why not just kill them?"

He glanced at her face.

Why not just kill them?

"...she'd be angry, of course," Syretia continued. "She'd come after you, but, with no reason to go into a direct fight with you, The Circle would be trying to keep her away from you. And if she's alone..."

Samael's eyes lit up. "She'd be vulnerable."

Syretia smiled again. "Exactly. I would advise you to tread carefully though..."

He scoffed. "Why? She's a lonely child. Powerful, yes, but with absolutely no help and no hope. She'd be blinded by rage. An easy target."

Syretia, to his surprise, didn't look so certain. "What I mean is, just capture her while you can. Don't fool around, Samael. Your arrogance, while not as great as General Strigori's, is still one of your greatest flaws."

He made a dismissive gesture with his hands. "I won't. Trust me, she'll be easy to capture once she's on her own against the likes of me."

And even when he saw Syretia's doubtful look, he chose to ignore it.