Chapter 27: Forest Brawl

The next day dawned. Raina could see the light reach in from the lonely window by her bed. Arriana saw it too.

"You didn't sleep," she commented, looking at Raina.

Raina looked at her wearily and yawned. "Neither did you."

"Ah, but the difference is, I don't sleep. You do. You're nervous."

Raina glared at her. "Of course I'm nervous, why wouldn't I be?"

Arriana continued to look at her. It was one of those 'Raina, I think you're an absolute moron' looks that she knew all too well.

"Combat is your strongest area. You'll be fine."

"I don't know, Ari... I have a bad feeling about this one..."

Arriana raised an eyebrow. "How so?"

Raina sighed. "Look, it's hard to explain, but I just have a bad feeling about Sienna... the way she and Lara looked at me yesterday... there was actual vengeance in their eyes. I think they're going to try something, and I know I'm not going to like it."

Her mentor shook her head. "Raina, if they try anything, I think you'd be more than capable of protecting yourself, trust me. I know you. Maybe you should go for a walk? I think that would be best."

Raina nodded. A walk sounded good. The cabin was stuffy, and she felt like a caged bird. She needed fresh air, and she needed it now. Without a word, she got out of bed, pulled on her shoes and walked around the forest clearing.

Almost immediately she felt better. Her body relaxed, and so did her mind. Finally, the nervous voice that told her to be on her guard had quietened. It hadn't been last night.

She's coming. She's going to get back at you for being as good as her, it had said. Now, thankfully, it was silent.

"Hey!"

Raina turned her head to find the same boy who'd won the Second Challenge waving at her. What had his name been again? Tim? Tom? T-?

Terrence. His name was Terrence.

"Oh, uh- hey!" Raina replied.

Terrence walked up to her. "You did well yesterday."

Raina's cheeks suddenly felt very hot, and she had a feeling they were also probably very red. "Uh- thank you. You did really well. I mean, where did you even come up with that stuff?"

Terrence laughed and shrugged. "I honestly have no idea. I just see it in my head and then, poof! I can make it happen. Magic's my thing. Or, at least creative magic is. I'm not very good at applying it in the real world. Like that maze thing? No clue whatsoever."

Raina frowned. "Really? Why?"

Terrence shrugged again. "When I'm in high-stress situations like that... I guess I just go... blank."

Raina grinned. "Sounded like me in the Second Challenge. I was so lost."

"Yeah. You looked it. Don't worry, this is your first year. I've been doing this for three years now."

"Really? Wow!"

Terrence shook his head. "Not really. This is the first year I've actually come first in something. Usually, Sienna does."

"Oh... so she is really good then," Raina mumbled.

Terrence nodded sadly. "Yeah, she is. Top of the class, teacher's pet, that kind of thing. And she doesn't like it when someone's better than her."