Chapter 29- Outrage

Hey guys! Lucky you. So... it's my birthday, aaaanddd... you're getting a birthday update. Surprise!!!!

"Alright, alright! Be calm!" Sir James roared as he rushed into the pit.

"That's not normal! How did she do that?" Raina heard someone shout.

"In all my years I've never seen anything like that before!"

"She shouldn't be allowed to win! That's not fair!" Philippa Stone hissed.

At this Sir James cocked his head to one side and laughed. "On the contrary, Philippa. It was completely fair. There are no rules in the pit. I clearly stated that contestants could win using either magical or non-magical combat. Raina used both, and won. Your apprentice yielded. End of story."

Philippa stamped her foot. "No! But we've never seen anything like that before. What she just did there... she just blocked my apprentice's magic. That's impossible!"

"No it isn't," an accented voice cut through the crowd. Raina watched as Philippa turned and glared at Arriana.

"You! You knew, didn't you?"

Arriana raised an eyebrow. "Knew what? That Raina could beat Sienna? Oh! Absolutely. Of that, I had no doubt."

"What! No, I meant-"

"Oh, you meant about Raina being able to block powers? It's a rare ability, Philippa, but it does exist. You know it, I know it, everyone knows."

"Yes, but the last Blocker was a demi-mortal, and they died in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius when they tried to stop Vulcan from blowing up all of Italy."

"Yes, and now it would appear my apprentice has shown signs of having the same Gift. Is it really that hard to comprehend? I knew you were slow Philippa, but I didn't realise you were this slow."

Philippa's eyes darkened with a cold rage, and Arriana did not look the slightest bit bothered. In fact, if anything, Raina thought she looked extremely pleased.

Arriana turned to Sir James. "The verdict?" she asked.

"Raina is the winner of the Third Challenge. And, seeing as how both of the competitors here have come won one challenge and come second in two others, I would say that, in terms of overall achievement, they've tied! Congratulations Raina and Sienna! You two are the champions of this year's Challenges."

Raina wasn't sure whether she should shake Sienna's hand, or bow, or smile... so she just stood there, feeling awkward.

Sienna picked herself up from the ground. Raina thought the Avalonian would have something smart to say to her, but, surprisingly, the only thing Sienna regarded Raina with was fear.

Neither girls spoke as the crowds filtered through the exits. Philippa collected Sienna and stomped off, muttering angrily under her breath.

Raina sniffed and turned her head to find Arriana standing in front of her.

"Did you know I could do that?" Raina asked her. They were alone. It was safe to speak.

Arriana bowed her head. "Being who and what you are, Raina, I'm honestly not sure what you're truly capable of. I have a feeling that my limits, and the limits of other Immortali, do not apply to you. Your magic... it comes to you easily, and you can use it in a way that no one else can."

"Sort of," Raina admitted. "But I don't know what I'm doing when I do it. It's like... it's feels like someone else is steering and I'm just in the passenger seat when I do stuff like that. I don't know how else I can describe it."

"And this other person, they know how to use your magic, yes?"

Raina nodded. "Yeah. They know it like the back of their hand, like they've been using it for... well, forever. Is that normal?"

Arriana frowned. "Perhaps it is like your Warrior Blood. Maybe... somewhere in your ancestry there is a powerful line of sorcerers. Maybe, a part of them resides in you."

"Yeah... yeah, that's got to be it," Raina agreed, but she didn't miss Arriana nervously biting her lip.

***

Samael turned to look at the demon. "Are you ready, my pet?" he asked.

The demon, in its true form, stood on two feet. Unlike lower demons, it wasn't frail and skeletal. This creature had a broad, hulking figure with large, beefy arms and fists like bowling balls. Its eyes were dark and beady, following its master's movements. Here, again, the eyes glinted with intelligence. Very much unlike it's lower cousin, with its empty, soulless eyes.

"Of course," the demon replied, its voice deep and scratchy.

"And your three brothers?"

"Are prepared to distract the Yellow Eyed Witch while I take care of her apprentice."

"Good. When you have the Mads girl, bring her here. Use the shackles if you have to." Samael handed him the dull metal objects. He'd never liked them. They weighed him down. Even though they could only block the magic of the wearer, they still... affected him. And he hated it.

"I will, Master," the demon promised, before bowing his head and leaving.

"You had better," Samael muttered.

lIr<