Chapter 23- Over the Line

Raina leaned on her hand, her elbow supported by the table. Her physics teacher was saying something about the laws of someone or other, but Raina's mind was elsewhere. She was thinking of The Challenges. Arriana had said they wouldn't be easy. Some would test her magical ability, others her combat skills.

So, if her mentor had thought it was so hard, why on earth would she enter Raina in them? To prove a point that, in all honesty, needn't be proven?

Let's face it, this Sienna girl's obviously better than me. Of course she is, I mean, she's had years of training, why wouldn't she be? What can I do that she can't?

But, nevertheless, nerves sizzled in Raina's gut, like sausages on a barbecue. Though, if her nerves were sausages on a barbecue, she had a feeling they would've been charcoaled ages ago.

"Miss Mads? Miss Mads? Are you paying attention?" her teacher suddenly asked.

Raina turned to face her, her eyes half drooping with weariness. "Huh?"

A few titters of laughter in the classroom. Jenny Carl in particular chose that exact moment to flick her hair and turn to Raina with a smug smirk on her perfectly pretty little face.

"The teacher asked you a question, dumby," she hissed at Raina so low that only she and Layla, who was sitting right next to her, could hear.

"Miss Mads, I asked you if you could tell me Newton's Third Law of Motion," her teacher stated, arms crossed and eyes narrowed.

Raina nodded, taking a moment to think. She knew what she was about to do was technically cheating, but since she had to do twice as much work as everyone else on account of her being Immortali... she didn't particularly happen to care. So, taking a moment to focus on the teacher, Raina scoured through her memories and knowledge, finding Newton's Third Law. And then, she recited it.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

The annoyed look on her teacher's face faded. "Very good, Miss Mads. Though, you would do well to pay attention in class from now on." And with that, she turned to write something on the whiteboard.

Highly unlikely, Raina thought to herself. When all I have to do is look into your memories and find the answers.

She knew it was immoral, and she knew she couldn't keep doing it. But, with school work, her family and extra lessons with Arriana (and not to mention the constant fear of Samael trying to destroy the world as she knew it) she simply couldn't focus in class. She barely even managed to get her homework done in time.

So, slightly using her mnemokinesis to find the answers didn't bother her as much as it should have. Not as much as the fact that she could in fact burrow through people's memories, even with the amethyst on. But, after some practice, she'd learned that she could still see people's memories if she concentrated on them hard enough. And that had become her salvation.

Even Layla looked impressed with what she'd done. Jenny Carl on the other hand? Not so much.

"Lucky guess," she snapped.

When she'd turned around, Raina and Layla both stuck their tongues out at her, giggling quietly as they did so.

"Nice one, Ray. For a moment there, I thought you were definitely screwed," Layla whispered.

Raina snorted. "So did I."

Suddenly, Jenny's hand shot up in the air.

Their teacher looked up from her notes. "Yes, Jenny?"