Begining.

B e g i n i n g.

Light filled the room as a match's flame came to life and danced like a beautiful balance between the cold air. Behind it, the fog of someone's breath caught, it nearly died. But a small hand covered it for protection against the tense air until it was finally flicked from the woman's hand and into a pile of paper.

"Meg," came a male voice, "did you get the extra matches before we left the store?"

The girl looked behind her to lock eyes with her older brother who only stared at her with stressful eyes. She nodded before putting her fingerless gloved hands to the fire and allowed the heat to warm her fingertips first. The flames reflection danced off the deep sea blue eyes as if it were a mirror and they were practicing for a duet, bodies swaying in sync. Her brother sat down beside her and rubbed his hands together before throwing a small blanket over their bodies in hopes of creating more heat. Her eyes closed as she leaned on his shoulder for support.

The male stared blankly into the fire they had created before closing his eyes as well, his body leaning against the wall for support. Soon the darkness invoked them and the fire that was once dancing with joy began to die down slowly. As if their duet had come to an everlasting end.

The golden moon silently cast a shadow into the small room they were resting inside of, it was empty. Only their bodies and their gear filled that room as the white door stayed open widely for an alarm. If anything or anyone dares to step a foot into the silent house they'd be the first to know and react. Soon the moon died down and slowly the moon's wife began to rise from her slumber and give the earth a rude awakening.

Bryce awoke with a jerk and his breathing hitched as his deep sea blue eyes snapped open. He had heard a creak in the floor in which he sat and it erupted his silent slumber. His body was tense from sleeping the way he did and his body felt numb due to how cold the room felt. He shivered slightly as he pulled his body off his sister, laying her down gently, he pulled himself to his feet and looked around for a moment. Body still as could be.

His eyes watched as a rat began to make its way past the doorway, eyes white as snow from the plague that had broke out nearly a year ago. It must've just recently got infected. Bryce sighed in disbelief as he stretched then made his way downstairs to the living room where he looked around the room. They had managed to rush into a old house that someone who lived long ago when days were rough for the quilts were hand made and there was candles all over the room. The couches had thick blankets neatly folded with dust piling on them slowly, unopened can food spread across the coffee table, and a radio sitting on the closed fireplace. He knelt down to the coffee table and began to look through the canned goods, feeling his stomach growl in response at some of the items they had until he stumbled across one that they always stumble across.

Canned dog food.

As crazy as it sounded dog food was an eatable item, especially to them. When food became scarce Meg had loaded up cans of dog food for them to eat whenever they ran out and to his surprise it  came in handy. Despite the awful taste at first it filled the stomach up and after a while of eating it you get used to the taste.

Bryce grabbed a few cans before rushing upstairs and entering the empty room where his sister lay, hat covering her eyes. He nudged her with his foot before having her groan and slowly open her eyes, greeting her with an open can of peaches.

"It's not much but I found what I could. Hurry up and eat so we can check this house then leave. I don't think staying here for a while will do us any good."

Meg nodded as she pulled herself upright and her gloved hands took the can from him before reaching into the bag and pulling out a plastic fork. He watched as she ate slowly before eating his own food which was canned beans, his favorite. They ate in silence before she ended up finishing her can with a loud burp; for a moment there was a small laugh between them. Bryce studied his sister for a moment.

Her beautiful blonde hair was tied into a messy braid, her once joyful blue eyes were replaced with dead ones, lips busted, dark pink coat faded to baby pink, white tank-top torn, blue jeans covered in mud, pale skin battened and bruised, and her blue hat was painted with blood that had mixed with dirt.

Clothes were also scarce now due to people going on a panic spree when hearing that nearly all women were dying. Sure, Meg could find anything she wanted but not him. Men went on a strike after 99% of women were killed, taking out any store. It was supposed to be the end for man kind but then there was Meg. She was the only woman alive..

The only girl.

Bryce had the last hope for man kind in his hands and refused to let anything happen to her. At first, he feared of losing her to the nasty plague going around but now he fears of losing her to a group of maniacs. Big difference.

He knew this was a different type of outbreak. It was gods way of punishing the damned, killing almost all the flowers in the garden of Eden. All but one sunflower. Meg.

It wasn't a zombie apocalypse or anything but rather a nightmare. One where once you're down on the ground you're not getting up. Bryce feared for both their survival..