April

T H E P A R T I N G.

Bryce watched as the man pulled his hockey mask over his face and held a blank face as he stared out the window. It had been a day since the group left and this wasn't good for either one of them. Of course the blonde was worried but pretended not to be due to how out of mind his watched just seemed to be at the moment.

"Where the fuck are they?" Jonathan grumbled to himself as he got up from the brown sofa he had been sitting on. He took a glance at the blonde who had his arms crossed over his chest as if there was nothing wrong before standing to his feet. The sound of the floor groaning underneath him echoed as his mudded hiking boots stepped down with a small amount of force. "They should be here by now."

"If they don't come back tomorrow we should leave."

Jonathan turned around at that with a glare held on his face. "You don't make that decision." His stern voice made shivers run up the blondes spine but he showed no fear. He knew that would make his opponent cocky and use that tone more than once.

"If we don't we'll die. We have no food supply whatsoever. The only thing we have is water–and not for long."

Cold blue eyes locked with his for a moment as he said those words. The silent was as if someone had just been buried six feet underground and they were the only two there to pay their respect. That, however, wasn't the case.

"They'll be back..tonight.." Jonathan finally broke the silence and say on the couch beside the blonde. "They promised they would.."

"And if they're not?"

"I don't know man! We just..we have to stay."

Everything fell silent as he stared at the black haired male who just seemed to be drowning in his own hope. It was natural for someone to have so much hope but only when you actually still believe the world could get better. Only then do you feel the need to hold on and Bryce knew that.

Bryce's blue eyes watched as the sun began to fall behind the trees and birds began to scatter which created a loud racket outside their cabin. He pulled his gaze away to the man on the couch who was holding his stomach peacefully then he looked to the brown bag he had packed before hand. Something told him the group was in danger and then staying here would only resort in death.

Silently he made his way to the bag but as he picked it up a pair of baby pink shoes caught him off guard. He slowly looked up the ripped jeans until he was met with a very familiar face. It was his sister.

Where are you going?

"Leaving. I can't stay here." He stated flatly as he slung the bag over his shoulder. "I've already had too many close calls..I don't need anymore.."

You can't leave him..he'll die!

"And? It's not like I care."

Bryce..

"What Meg?!"

I know you'll do what's right..

He watched as she slowly began to fade into dust before flying away with the wind. It was as if nothing happened now for the air and earth stood still under him. His blue eyes jerked to the man who was resting silently on the brown couch causing him to let out a sigh before turning his back to him.

As he went o leave the sound of something from the kitchen echoed causing him to raise a brow. At first he thought that may be the group coming back but once he stepped into the kitchen he was greeted with more silence. Suddenly a scratch came at the door so he slowly made his way to it with a furrowed brow. His pale hand reached out for the golden knob but then the window broke and glass went flying as two pairs of hands grasped onto him. Bryce let out a groan as he held back the snapping jaws from tearing into his face and for some reason he called out to the man in the living room, "JON!"

His hearing faded with his heart beat as the infected nearly got him and at this moment he knew it was over for him.