Chapter 8

The 2 weeks of being in the hospital got more miserable every day. The chemo made her sick around the second dosage. She threw everything up and was so tired she just slept all day. The bone marrow transfusion was so painful. She screamed and cried the whole time. The blood transfusions weren't that bad. The worst part was that Danny wasn't allowed to visit. Mara was extremely immuno compromised and they didn't want any outside visitors besides her brothers and parents. It was the end of the two weeks and Mara got to go home. She couldn't be more happy. Although there were a ton of rules. But Mara didn't care she was just happy to be home. 

It was a Saturday when she got home and after dinner. Mara was exhausted just from sitting at the table with her family. She was upstairs staring at her sickly self in the mirror. She comb over her hair when a big clump came out. She gulped and burst into tears. She was so angry. She glared at herself in the mirror. Then she opened a drawer and pulled out a pair of scissors. As she cried she forcefully cut random pieces of her hair. Most of it just falling out from touching it. Just then Charlie walked by.

"Mara!" he ran into the bathroom and grabbed her hand and stopped her from chopping off her hair. But it didn't matter there wasn't much left. She fell to the floor and cried. Charlie bent down on the floor and pulled her into him. He hugged her tightly as she cried. He didn't even say anything. 

"Buzz it for me?" she asked pulling away.

He wiped away one of her tears "Are you sure?"

"Yes its going to be gone anyways" 

Charlie pulled her to her feet. She sat on the side of the bath tube. Charlie pulled out the buzzer and buzzed off all her hair. Mara closed her eyes the whole time. She then stood up when he was done. She opened her eyes. 

"Beautiful" said Charlie with a smile.

Mara didn't smile though.

Charlie hugged. 

"Mara you are beautiful no matter what."

"Thanks. What is mom going to say?"

"The same exact thing" said Charlie with a smile.

Charlie went downstairs to warn his parents and brothers. Mara went to her room. She looked in the mirror some more and then pulled on her hat. It was a colorful hat with long braid ties down the side and a big puff ball on top. She smiled at herself. She then headed downstairs.

Charlie came into the kitchen.

"Guys" 

They all turned 

"Mara has something to show you. Don't freak out or look shocked" 

They all gave him a questionable look.

Mara was then behind him. She had a hat on.  They all new a immediately and smiled. Mara pulled of her hat.

Jessica smiled at her. Everyone else smiled too. She pulled Mara into a hug.

"Most beautiful girl in the world" Mara smiled at her.

Peter than hugged her and kissed the top of her head. "Lovely"

Ethan, Jack and Ben smiled. 

It was later that night and Danny was finally able to come over. Mara had a mask on ask she couldn't be around others without one. They sat in the living room. Danny was just staring at Mara. 

"Danny?"

Danny shook himself out of it "Sorry"

"Its awful. Isn't it?" 

"No!" he said.

"Its just..."

"Not me?"

"Ya I know, but this is" said Mara pulling on her hat.

Danny shook his head "That hat" 

Mara laughed. So did Danny.

"Are you going to come to school?"

"I want to, but I don't know if my parents will let me. Maybe a half day"

"Tomorrow?"

"No probably Tuesday"

"I just want to do everything I normally do" 

"Well I have a surprise for you" said Danny.

"What?"

"Come here" said Danny motioning to follow her.  He opened the front door. When she stepped out she saw her whole neighborhood there, with flowers, balloons and signs. Mara got the biggest smile on her face and turned to hug Danny. Jack then came up behind them.

"Mom! Dad!" yelled Jack.

They all came running including, Ethan, Ben and Charlie. They were in shock. 

Mara waved to everyone. Everyone waved back.

People yelled "We love you Mara!" "Your beautiful! We are all here for you!"

Sophie got tears in her eyes. Ben wrapped his arms around her, She hugged him. Jessica hugged Peter, she was crying too. They were so lucky.