Chapter 12

After leaving the house Shawn went to confront Charlie.

"We need to talk" said Shawn walking into his apartment.

"How'd you even get in here?"

"You might want to try locking your door"

Charlie rolled his eyes "What do we need to talk about?"

"About the fact that you've been MIA all week and Mara keeps asking about you and no one knows what to tell her"

"I just can't see her like that"

"It sucks but what you want doesn't matter right now. Mara needs us, everyone of her brothers to be there for her. That includes you" 

"I just can't stop thinking about what life would be like without her" said Charlie who now had tears in  his eyes.

Shawn put his hands on Charlie's shoulders "You can't think about that though. I know it's hard, but you can't."

Charlie nodded.

"Tonight Mara told me something that everyone needs to remember. She said If I go, I go. I've accepted that and it will be a lot easier if everyone else does too. Until that point whether it be from this or when I'm 80 years old. I'm going to live the best life I can. And she is right. We have to give Mara the best life she can get while she is here. We have to the make of everyday we have with her." Shawn pulled Charlie into a hug. 

Charlie then agreed in his head that tomorrow he would go see her. 

It was the next day and Mara after being at the doctors met up with Danny. They were hanging out around school. Waiting for Ethan's football practice to be over and Jack's soccer practice to be over. Danny's father was the football coach. 

"Mara what are you doing?" asked Danny as he watched her climb the bleachers of the football stadium, "You are going to exhaust yourself"

"I'm fine. Just come on"

Danny sighed and started to follow her "Just tell me what we are doing?"

"Can't you just trust me"

"No. Because we usually end up in trouble"

Mara rolled her eyes 

She made it to the top and near the press box that had a ladder on the side that led to the roof. Danny came up behind her just as Mara started to climb the ladder. 

"Mara, Seriously? We are going to get yelled at"

Mara ignored him. He reluctantly followed her. He got to the top just after her. 

"Now what?"

"Haven't you every wanted to yell at the top of you lungs?"

"No can't say I have" said Danny sarcastically.

Mara went to open her mouth to scream. Danny put his hand over her mouth before she could "Don't" Mara gave him a look "If I remove my hand are you going to scream" Mara shook her head no. As soon as he let her go. She yelled at the top of her lungs. Danny shook his head. 
Then the entire football team and soccer team turned to look

Mara stopped and looked at Danny "Do it" 

Danny sighed and then yelled. They both stood on top of the press box and yelled at the top of their lungs. But they stopped when they heard Danny's dad yell "Hey!"

Meanwhile on the field. One of Ethan's teammates turned to him "Isn't that your sister?"

"Yes, yes it is" 

The others laughed. 

Same thing happened to Jack.

"Isn't that Mara? Your sister?"

"No. I've never seen her before in my life" said Jack sarcastically.

Danny's dad turned to Ethan "Ethan"

Ethan sighed and followed his coach to the bleachers.

"Crap" said Danny, "I'm so dead"

"Wasn't it worth it though?" Mara gave him a shove

Danny smiled "No"

Mara smiled back at him. Knowing he really meant yes. 

Soon Ethan and Danny's dad came up to the ladder.

"Daniel!" he said sternly.

"Yes dad?"

"What the hell do you think you are doing?"

"Just having fun sir" said Mara back at him.

"Well let's try having fun in a safer place where there is a less chance of you falling off a building" 

"Yes sir" said Mara.

"Yes dad" said Danny.

"Now get down here" 

Mara climbed down first. When Ethan could reach her, he grabbed and put her on the ground 

"Mara? Really?"

Mara just smiled. 

"Daniel, go home" said his father.

"Can I wait till your practice is over?" Mara asked to Ethan.

"Fine" said Ethan. "But you will sit on these bleachers and not move"

"Got it" said Mara.

"Bye Mara" said Danny as he followed his father down the bleachers.

Practice had just ended and Charlie had showed up. He started to walk up the bleachers to Mara. He sat down next to her.

"Do you hate me?"

Mara gave him a look "No of course not"

"But I haven't been around"

"You were just trying to figure things out. I get it. I had to do the same thing"

Charlie smiled at her "No more. I'll be here every day for you" 

Mara smiled up at him "I'll be here every day till I'm gone for you too. Whether that be tomorrow or 40 years from now" 

Charlie pulled her into a side hug. Then wrapped his arms around her as she hugged him. He kissed the top of her head. Just then Ethan came up the bleachers with Jack

"She tell you about her climbing adventure this afternoon?"

"No" said Charlie pulling away and giving her a look.

She smirked "Just some fun"

"She stood on top the press box with Danny and yelled at the top of her lungs. The entire stadium heard her" said Jack.

Charlie smiled at her. 

"You all should try it feels great" said Mara standing up to walk up the bleachers.

"Hey no, do not climb back up there" said Ethan.

"I won't. Just follow me to the top" 

They all followed. 

"Now what?" asked Charlie as they got up to the top.

"Yell" said Mara.

Mara started to yell. Charlie joined in first then Ethan. Jack gave them weird looks. Ethan nudged him. Then he yelled too. Soon they all stopped. Mara smiled at all of them. Then they all burst into laughter.

"See I told you" 

"Let's go squirt" said Charlie as she scooped her up with a smile and carried her down the bleachers as Ethan and Jack followed.

"How come I got the weirdest sister?" asked Jack.

"Just lucky I guess" said Mara.

They all laughed and headed to Charlie's car to head home.