04| The Good Elf

Serena POV

I awoke on a couch in a strange house, staring into the eyes of the elf in the woods. Next to him, a brown eyed elf woman was looking at me concernedly. "Are you alright, dear?" she asked, her voice calm and comforting. For a moment, I was reminded of my mother.

I tried to sit up, but the elf in the woods (I didn't know what else to call him) grabbed my shoulder and pushed me back down gently. "The rune hasn't finished healing yet," he murmured, not looking me in the eyes. "Sit up now and the wound'll open up again."

I obediently relaxed. Suddenly a whirlwind of panic surged through me. I was in elf territory, with actual elves. This was really bad.

"I need to leave," I said.

"You aren't going anywhere, Princess," the elf in the woods said, his blue icy blue eyes warning.

Princess? How did he know I was royal? "I-I'm not a princess," I lied. If he knew, he would take me hostage for the fairies's ransom or surrender! He was wearing a knight's uniform after all.

"Of course you're not," he said to my relief. "You just uh...never mind." His cheeks flushed slightly. "So what was a fairy like you doing in the woods near the border in the middle of the night?"

"I—I was out for a walk," I stammered.

He pursed his lips. "You can get up now," he said curtly. I swung my legs over the side of the couch and stumbled to my feet. Not able to find my footing, I almost toppled over. I would've, if the elf in the woods hadn't caught me.

His arm wrapped around my waist, he grabbed my hand with his other. "Steady," he murmured, his head so close his breath stirred the hair on my neck. I avoided his gaze, not letting him see my cheeks getting steadily redder. He stayed there for what felt like eons.

"Um...you can let go. I'm fine now," I stammered. He obeyed, leaving me standing shakily and breathing heavily. I turned to face him. "Thanks for, you know, saving me." I turned to leave, but then realized I had no clue where I was or how to get home.

"Need a ride?" the elf said, smirking.

"Just to the border," I said. He opened the door and I followed him outside into the cool nigh...dawn!?

"Crap!" we yelled at the same time.

"I'm going to be late for inspection!" the elf burst out, his voice edged with panic.

"My family can't know I left," I worried.

He took off running toward his horse, his long blond hair flowing in the wind. I hurried unsteadily after him as quickly as I could. He pulled me on the horse's back and we flew toward the border. One at the outskirts of the South Woods, I dismounted.

"One last thing!" I yelled as he got ready to leave.

He looked at me and tilted his head. "Yes, princess?"

Why does he call me that? "What's your name?" I asked.

He hesitated for a second. "Finn!" he called.

"Well then, thank you very much, Finn," I said with a small curtsy. He saluted me, and flipped the reigns. I watched as his tall, strong, blond headed blue eyed figure disappeared into the rising sun.

Sighing, I turned my back on the sun and plodded tiredly back to the castle. The moment I stepped foot in my chamber, Irene descended upon me like an angry hawk. "Where the hell were you?!" she demanded.

"I just went on a walk!" I defended. And got attacked, almost bled to death, and woke up on Elf territory, I mentally added.

"I thought you'd gone and done something bloody stupid!" Irene shrieked.

"I'm fine," I insisted. "But why did you leave so suddenly last night? What happened?"

"Elf invaders," she said curtly. "Looting some town on the outskirts of our territory."

"Did you win?" I asked.

"No," she groaned. "They took everything. Now we have another town to restock. We're running out of money, Serena."

I bit my lip. Dumb elves. My mind flashed back to Finn. I'd thought all elves were ruthless and unpredictable, but maybe...maybe some of them were different. Maybe some of them were good.