10| Fight

Serena POV

I pulled on my best outfit and hastily ran a brush through my hair. I couldn't believe I was about to do something meaningful as a princess. Irene, Father, and I were going to the human palace to arrange an alliance with their emperor. "Serena, the carriage is waiting outside!" Irene called from the door.

"Coming!" I called excitedly. I pulled on my boots and rushed outside to where the carriage waited. Irene and I climbed inside. "Where's father?" I asked.

"Finishing some last minute business, your Highness," the driver called. "He'll be here."

We waited impatiently for another few minutes, and when the king arrived, we headed west toward human territory. I was uncomfortably squeezed against Irene, staying as far away from my father as possible. If there was one thing I knew for sure, it was that I would never trust that man again.

"Crossing the border now!" the driver announced. The carriage then abruptly pulled to a stop. I peered around my father to see a tall, hooded figure dressed in black standing in front of the horses, one arm outstretched.

"I'll handle this," the king growled. He dropped out of the carriage, a vein in his forehead bulging. Whoever it was wearing that cloak was about to get it. I cracked the door open behind him, tuning in to their conversation.

"Your Majesty," a deep voice slightly edged with fear said hastily. "There is an attack being planned on this carriage. You need to get off this course immediately."

I recognized that voice. I searched my mind frantically for the person it belonged too. Finn?!

"Out of the way, human scum!" my father growled. He held out his hand to hit Finn. Before his hand could collide, I found myself jumping out the door and throwing myself between them. I knew only too well how much that man's hand could hurt someone.  

My father's eyes widened in surprise. "Stand aside, Serena. Let me teach this scumbag his place!"

"No," I said fiercely. "Father, please. We're supposed to make an alliance with the humans. You can't hurt them!" My father lowered his hand, shrugged, and started to go back to the carriage.

"Please!" Finn called to him hoarsely. "Be wary!"

"What are you doing?" I hissed, turning to face Finn. "Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Through the shadow of the hood disguising his elvish, pointy ears, I saw his eyes filled with pain.

"Princess!" the driver called to me. "You need to return to the carriage."

"I have to go before they find me," Finn whispered. "They're planning to attack you! Please be careful, Princess Serena." With that, he turned around and disappeared among the trees. Crap. He knew I was royalty now.

I quickly returned to the carriage. "Get off the course!" I commanded as forcefully as I could. "We can't take the risk."

My father nodded, and told the driver to take the other route. We soon arrived at the human's palace safely and undisturbed.

The next few hours were a blur of meetings, shaking hands, and speeches on stage. I didn't understand most of what happened, and I found everything quite boring. Humans were very boring creatures, after all. With low, monotone voices, odd haircuts, and no magical power at all, I didn't understand why father even bothered with them.

My boredom, however, was quickly diminished when out of the blue, dozens of elves burst into the castle, yelling various forms of battle cries. I could only watch in fear as the elders and children were herded out of the room, and young women and men assumed battle positions. It was the elves swords and bows against fairy magic and human...well, contraptions I guess you could say.

"Get out, Serena!" my father and sister yelled in unison. Anger welled up inside me at their insistence that I couldn't do anything. I was done running and hiding. I was going to fight.