19| Beautiful Soul

Finn POV

I paced around the outskirts of the forest anxiously, beginning to doubt she was going to show up. I was taking a huge risk being here on fairy territory, but I had to take the chance. At last, after almost ten minutes of waiting, she finally showed up.

Even in the dark of the night, she was radiant. Her long, dark hair was hastily tied up in a messy bun, and she wore the same white dress as the first time I'd seen her. Her rosy lips curled into a smile when she saw me, and her silver eyes reflected the moonlight. She was beyond beauty. She was a goddess.

"Sorry I'm late," she said softly, looking into my eyes. "I had trouble getting out of the castle."

"It's fine," I whispered. In one moment, I closed the distance between us and planted a kiss on her lips. It only lasted a few seconds, but I felt warm inside, like this was the only place I would ever want to be.

She pulled away and smiled.

"What do you want to do?" I asked quietly.
She frowned slightly, thinking. After a few moments, she grinned mischievously, and her eyes lit up with an idea.

"Teach me to shoot," she declared.

"What?" I demanded in shock. "Why?"

She sighed. "I don't think you know much about this, but I'm essentially powerless. I have no magic, I can't fly, and no one's ever bothered to teach me to fight with weapons. I hate feeling weak all the time."

I nodded, actually understanding. "I wouldn't like that," I admitted.

"So teach me."

I didn't want to do this, but I understood Serena's point. She wanted to be able to protect her kingdom. At the least, having a little experience with a bow could help her protect herself. I grudgingly took her hand and led her cautiously into the South Woods.

Wary of Beasts, I stayed carefully at the very edge of the trees. Dropping Serena's hand, I handed my bow to her. I took my quiver full of arrows off my shoulder, and leaned it against a tree.

I walked up behind Serena and positioned the wooden part of the bow in her left hand. Without taking an arrow, I guided her right hand to the string. "Pull," I whispered, very aware of our closeness.

I let go of her hands so she held the bow on her own, but did not move away from her. I could feel her muscles straining to pull the string back. She almost pulled it all the way, but it suddenly snapped back. I grabbed the string, ready to help her, but she pulled away. "I can do it myself," she said determinedly.

She strained again, but this time managed to draw the bow. I smiled. "Good job." I now reached for an arrow. I set it on the bow for her, then backed away. "Aim for that tree," I said, pointing.

She drew the bow, and let go of the string. The arrow sailed to the right, lodging itself a few trees away.

"Not bad," I told her honestly.

"That was terrible," she contradicted, placing the bow on the ground beside the quiver.

"It really wasn't," I told her. "Don't give up now."

She stretched her right arm, holding it like it was sore. "I'm not, I just want to talk for a while."

I came up behind her again and wrapped my arms around her waist. I placed my lips on her ear. "Then talk," I whispered.

She breathed deeply, relaxing her body and leaning her head back to rest on my shoulder. We stayed there for a few peaceful moments before Serena broke the silence.

"Really, I do want to talk," she said, laughing.

I grudgingly released her, picked up my bow, and followed her. We came to a stop at a big, flat rock where we both sat down. "What did you want to talk about?"

She looked at me in surprise. "Ourselves," she said as if it should have been obvious. "I know you, but I don't know you, if you know what I mean."

I knew what she meant.

"I'm just saying, I think you know me a lot better than I know you. I know nothing about your family, your history, or who you are as a person," she continued.

"So you want me to tell you my story?" I asked.
She nodded. I took a deep breath, and started at the beginning. "My mother died giving birth to me and my twin sister, Amara. My father is War Lord then, so he's never home. Amara and I lived with our aunt, who died a few years ago. Soon after her death, when we were fourteen, Amara joined the army. I joined last year, when I was sixteen. We aren't...close as siblings." I kept what I had seen Amara doing yesterday to myself.

"So you're seventeen now?" she asked.

"Yeah," I confirmed. It struck me that I didn't know how old Serena was, either.

She smiled sympathetically. "My mother died a few years ago," she said. "I'm fourteen. You know the rest of my past, and you've... met Irene. She's eighteen." She laughed when she thought about my not-so-pleasant encounters with her sister. "My only other family is the Duchess, my mother's sister. I hate her."

We sat there for awhile, talking and enjoying each other. Time seemed to slip away so fast that when I noticed it, it was almost dawn. "I have to go," I said regretfully. "Inspection. Can I see you the night after tomorrow?"

She nodded. "I have to go, too. We have to find a suitor for my sister. Be careful going across the border?"

"Always." We stood up and I grabbed her shoulders, pulling her into a soft kiss. "I'll see you soon, princess."

AN
Thanks so so much for 500 reads! I appreciate the support so much! I don't really have anything else to add, so here's some gifs of my boyfriend to celebrate...

ANThanks so so much for 500 reads! I appreciate the support so much! I don't really have anything else to add, so here's some gifs of my boyfriend to celebrate

Thanks again!-Abby

Thanks again!
-Abby