23| Fairies in the Sky

Serena POV

I wiped the sweat off my forehead and grabbed another arrow. I was going to do this. I drew the bow, and lodged the arrow in the very edge of the target across the training room.

I groaned. The arrows seemed to cover every square inch of the target but the bullseye. It was just... the bow was so big. I couldn't see where I was aiming.

I put the bow and arrows back on the shelf and went to the water bucket. I splashed water over my face, trying to cool off. It was so cold outside...why was it so hot in here?

It was just after dawn on the day before Irene's wedding. Since it was so early, I had the training room to myself, which was good. I didn't want to call attention to myself.

Once I finished rinsing my face, I grudgingly picked up the bow again. I fired an arrow, and it sailed five yards to the left of the target. If only there was something smaller...

My gaze fell onto a sleeve of throwing knives sitting in a corner. I curiously picked up the sleeve, and drew a knife. Walking back to where I was standing before, I grabbed the bottom of the blade like Irene did when she showed me once. Remembering the technique she'd shown me, I threw the knife at the target. It sailed through the air, and buried itself in the bullseye.

There we go...

"What on earth are you doing?" a voice asked behind me.

I turned around quickly to face...my father. "Wh–what do you mean?" I stammered.

"You think you can learn to fight?" he laughed. "Hate to break it to you, sweetie, but—"

"—it's none of your business!" I interrupted furiously. I was sick of him saying I was weak. I was sick of Irene always having to stand up for me. "You think I'm powerless, but I'm not! So stay out of my way."

I stalked out of the training room and slammed the door behind me. Just then, Irene was walking down the hallway. She widened her eyes when she saw my sweaty and furious face. "Serena, what's goi—"

"—it's nothing," I said curtly. "How are you doing?"

"Fine, besides knowing that this is my last day of freedom," she answered dejectedly.

I hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to console her. "Want to go for a walk?" I suggested.

She looked at me, surprised. "You know you're not supposed to leave the castle," she warned.

"I don't care if father and the Duchess say I can't," I defended. "They have their best interests in mind, not mine."

Irene nodded. "We'll take the back entrance, where there's no guards. But I'm dead if father catches us, Serena."

We pulled on our coats and snuck quietly through the south entrance, wary of guards. Thankfully, we got out without a problem.

"We could go into town," I suggested when we stepped into the cold sunlight. "Maybe look at some jewelry for tomorrow..."

Irene shook her head. "I don't want to think about the stupid wedding. Besides, we'd be recognized as royals without proper disguises."

I sighed and looked up at the blue sky, watching fairies soar about the atmosphere peacefully and wishing I could fly. Wishing I could be like them. That was why, when I left the castle, I went into the forest. I didn't have to watch the other fairies having so much more fun than me; plain, boring Serena.

"You're amazing the way you are," Irene consoled me, always seeming to know what I was thinking. Saying nothing, I led us toward the South Woods, once again not wanting to see the fairies in the sky.

Irene stopped walking and turned to face me. She grabbed one of my hands in both of hers, and bent down to be eye level with me. "Serena, I love you. You know that, right?"

"Y—yeah?" I stammered, a bit flabbergasted. Irene didn't usually show affection like this. "I love you, too."

"And I'll always be here for you. No matter what." She dropped my hand and continued walking. We were getting close to the elf kingdom border.

"We should go back," I warned when caught sight of the border. Irene nodded, and we started to turn around. Just as we started walking the other direction, an arrow flew perfectly between our heads and lodged itself in a tree.

Irene whipped around quickly and pushed me behind her with one hand. "Stay back," she hissed.

A shortish elf stepped out of the shadows, and walked casually over the border into our territory. "Hello, princesses," she spat.

An almost insane grin was planted on the woman's face. She had curly brown hair that was messy and unkempt. There seemed to be a devilish gleam in her icy blue, penetrating eyes.

"You looking for a fight?" Irene snarled angrily.

"Looking for a kill," the elf answered. She unsheathed her sword and slashed toward Irene.

My sister pushed me backward, and I landed hardly against a tree. Irene drew the tiny dagger sheathed on her waist, and skillfully deflected the elf's large sword. The elf punched Irene forcefully in the stomach with her free hand, rendering Irene doubled over gasping for breath.

My heart was beating loudly in my head. I couldn't do anything. This elf was strong, and all I could do was powerlessly watch her hurt my sister. I hated myself.

Irene remained bunched over, struggling to breathe. The elf shook her head. "I was hoping this would have been more of a fight," she said snidely. She lifted her sword, and brought it down over Irene's neck.

I gasped. Not my sister!!

To my relief, Irene rolled out of the way at the last second, and sprung to her feet as the elf's sword wedged itself in the ground, stuck where her neck was just a second ago. Before the elf could react, Irene grabbed the elf's free arm and twisted it, making it give a little cracking noise.

If only I'd brought that knife with me...

"You dare walk onto my side of the border and attack me?" Irene scoffed. "Learn your place, kid."

The elf was far from done. Grabbing her sword in her good hand, she slashed at Irene's shoulder.

Knife still drawn, Irene turned to the side and dodged the sword easily, which turned out to be a huge mistake.

As fast as lightning, the elf came up behind her and threw her arm around Irene's neck, dropping her sword. With Irene restrained, the elf took the knife out of her hand and held it to her neck. "Sorry, princess," she bragged. "Looks like this is the end of the line for you."