31| Raven

Amara POV   

After getting my cover dose, a drug that prevented my true identity from appearing to the elves, I strutted back into Gnarl's chamber. "I killed Irene," I boasted as soon as I swung open the doors.

It was lighter in the cavern than usual. I looked up to see a hint of moonlight streaming in through a tiny opening in the ceiling. The first stages of the Ascent? Would we finally walk amongst the grounds of Earthland?

"It's started?" I gasped.

"Hardly," Gnarl said unhappily. "I'd assumed you would have killed Finn by now."

"I—"

"Lay off, Gnarl," a new voice said. "This woman killed the girl's sister, and now has the girl weakened and in custody."

Gnarl's gaze went to my hands, which were still stained dark red from Serena's blood. He nodded respectfully. "Well done," he muttered.

I kneeled hesitantly, unsure what to think of this strange woman that looked like some sort of queen.

"Rise," she said, laughing a bit. "I'm no royal."

"What's your name?" I asked. Her blue lips widened into a smile, and she tossed her long, black hair over her shoulder. Her yellow eyes gleamed with ambition. She didn't look much older than I, but there was a definite evil aura around her.

"I'm Raven," she told me.

"Um... If you don't mind me asking, who are you?"

She laughed. "I am the nightmares of every man, woman, and child of Earthland."

"You're a Traveler?" I asked dubiously, remembering the ancient tale she had referenced.

"And I don't only travel freely through dimensions," she cackled. "I can move between the real world and the dream world. The entire universe is at my mercy. I really must thank you, Amara. Had you not damaged the girl to near-death, I would not have risen."

"Wow..." I muttered, not liking the prospect of being second best. "Remind me not to get on your bad side."

All of a sudden, I was sent hurling backward, and hit my head against a jagged rock on the wall. The last thing I saw was Raven wave her fingers, and disappear into a black cloud.

                                                                      ***
"What the bloody hell was that?" I yelled hours later when I rose shakily to my feet. I cringed when I realized that the time I'd been asleep here was much longer in Earthland.

"She's not going help us," Gnarl sighed.

"Where'd you get that one from?" I scoffed sarcastically.

"The Traveler is obsessed with power," Gnarl explained. "She would never lend it to us. Now that she's freed, she'll be more of an obstacle than an asset."

"We have to find her!" I shouted angrily.

"It's not that simple," he sighed, his yellow eyes tired. "Raven, in addition to being a realm traveler like yourself, is also a shapeshifter. She can take any form she wishes."

"Where will she go?"

"I don't know," Gnarl admitted. Literally nicknamed the Wise, if Gnarl didn't know something, no one was going to. "She may not interfere at all."

I bit my lip. "I'll look for her."

"Don't bother. If she doesn't want to be found, she won't be. Focus on growing stronger, Amara. The Ascent may come sooner than we planned."

"Gnarl...where did this woman come from?"

He sighed. "Princess Serena, the light child, has many of the same attributes as yourself. When she reaches a critical point in her life, such as near death, a new 'third party' entity is released. They take no sides, pillaging the world for their own purposes. They will be more of a problem than an asset. The same happens if you reach a critical point. It's inevitable that Raven will be the first of many more. If you or Serena reach a point in your lives that determines your fate, a new third party member will emerge. If we are to succeed with the Ascent, we need to make sure as little as possible of these beings are unleashed."

I turned around to leave, unsure what to say.

"—Amara!" Gnarl called as I left the chamber. "You need to gain allies!" I stopped, and tilted my head quizzically. "Try that elf, Ozio. You know he fancies you. Get him on your side!"

I nodded and left quickly, the dimension travel starting to hurt my head. I hurried to the altar, aware that I needed to get home and find out how long I'd been away.

I incanted the spell I'd memorized months ago, and closed my eyes. I opened them to see moonlight shining on the desert sand.

"I'm done playing games," a voice behind me growled. I whipped around to come face to face with my brother, who was glaring at me with fire in his eyes.

"Finn, I—"

My words were cut off as Finn drew his sword and slashed at me. Reflexes kicking in, I ducked and rolled to the side, unsheathing my blade.

"You think I don't know what you've been doing the last two days you were in there?" he yelled, pointing at the spot from which I'd emerged. I scrambled to my feet. "You're plotting to kill me!"

"It looks a lot like you're the one trying to kill me, dear brother." I thrusted my sword at his heart, knowing that I could kill him like this. Finn was no good at swordplay.

Predictably dodging left like he did every time we'd trained, I grabbed him by the shirt collar and backed him against a tree.

"I know what they mean now when they say 'third time's a charm'!" I hissed. I pointed my sword at his chest, and looked triumphantly into his eyes. "Goodbye, brother."

He grinned. "You can come out now, Dad."

I released Finn in shock as I saw my father emerge from the bushes. How had I not seen him?!?

Someone like Felix couldn't know about this. He would tell Pelos, who would have me cast out or killed. I swallowed the small lump in my throat and threw my sword, watching my father's eyes widen as it buried itself in his chest

"No!" Finn screeched. I clenched my fists, trying to keep myself from shaking. "You coward!" I heard Finn scream behind me as I fled into the desert. What had I done?