26| Shattered

Serena POV  

The whole world seemed to travel in slow motion as the arrow flew through the air. Finn's laughing face slowly turned into a look of confusion as the it soared straight at his chest. Was this it? Was Finn going to die?

I could only watch the world from the side. The deadly arrow was moving so fast, but so slow at the same time. The weapon was only inches from Finn's chest when a winged figure dropped straight into the weapon's path.

The world went back into regular speed as arrow pierced the the dark haired figure that looked so much like myself. Ahead of us, I saw a pair of hungry blue eyes widen, then disappear into the night. 

"Irene!" I screamed. I scrambled over to where she lay still on the ground. There was an arrow sticking straight into her heart. "Get a healing rune!" I yelled at Finn.

"It's...too late," Irene choked. "Serena, I—"

"Don't try to talk," I whispered, my throat lumping up. "I'm going to the castle. I'm going to get help."

She shook her head. "There's no time," she said sadly, a little smile forming on her lips. "Finn?"  she whispered.

He came closer, his eyes a little teary. "Y—yes?" he stammered.

"Take care of her." She looked from me to him, and back. "Take care of each other." Her always-lively, shimmering blue eyes dulled, and the light of life left them.

I sat back breathlessly, unable to believe what I'd just seen. Irene couldn't be dead...it was too surreal to even imagine.

The only fairy who'd ever truly cared about me. My only sister. My only friend in this world. What was I supposed to do without her?

I couldn't cry. I could only sit there and stare at her body in silence. In the back of my consciousness, I felt Finn wrap an arm around my shoulder. "It'll be okay," he whispered in my ear.

"N—no it won't," I choked. A single tear finally fell down my cheek. "I—I need to get my father. You sh—should go home."

"Serena..."

"I mean it. Please, go home Finn," I begged, avoiding his gaze.

"Just write me if you need to talk," he said finally. He then kissed me on the cheek, and disappeared among the trees.

I got up and ran the other way, tears streaming down my face. I hadn't wanted Finn to see me cry. In the very back of my mind, it registered that Amara's arrow had been aimed at him, not me. But that wasn't important now.

I tore into the castle through the front entrance, ignoring the guards, and raced into my father's chamber. Without knocking, I pushed open the door and ran to his bedside.

"I—Irene's dead!"