14. It's she who holds her tongue who gets her man

Ursula cracked open the door of the storage pod where Barry was slumbering. A shaft of morning light illuminated a section of the pod.

"Hello?" she whispered. She strained to see inside. She could hear nothing. "Good morning, Barry!" she sung softly.

Suddenly, the barracuda thrust his head through the narrow opening and bit a chunk out of Ursula's hand. "You devil!" she screamed, slapping the top of his head forcefully. He retreated to the back of the pod and Ursula slammed the door shut.

The curve between her forefinger and thumb was set right in mere seconds, thanks to healing magic combined with a protection charm already in place, but she was still livid as she set off in search of Amoret.

"I bet he's just hungry," Amoret said sympathetically. She was in the hall of sculptures, braiding Wemegreth's hair into an intricate, wreath-like updo. The girl appeared to be in ecstasy. "Let's bring him something."

"Sure he's hungry...for my flesh," Ursula grumbled. "Wemegreth, could you find him something, please?"

Fifteen minutes later, the three cecaelians were back at Barry's pod. "Come on out, buddy," cooed Amoret. "We've got breakfast!"

Barry slid out quietly, grinning. He took the food from Amoret's hand gingerly, then nuzzled her palm with his hideous face.

"Oh, right. Now you're as innocent as a newborn guppy, aren't you?" Ursula snapped. He rolled one eye back to look at her, then resumed his nuzzling.

"Oh, he is! You're a good boy! Are you ready for today's training?" Amoret asked the beast. He wagged his tail fin enthusiastically in affirmation.

Ursula was unmoved. "Let's start today by connecting misdeeds to punishments."

"Ursula, you can't be mad at him! You put the warning note on the door yourself yesterday! So he was feisty...it's only as you expected," Amoret scolded.

"Fine. You're right. And at least he's all mended...and I do want a pet with verve. Let's get started."

***

They were hours into Barry's training—and it was going quite well—when a nervous blowfish and a terrified lanternfish approached Ursula cautiously from the rear. The stopped a good distance away from her.

"Umm, Honored Ursula?" The blowfish was practically whispering. "Esteemed madam?" He glanced at his companion anxiously, and the lanternfish nudged him encouragingly. He cleared his throat loudly.

Ursula turned toward the noise. "Yes?"

The blowfish inflated rapidly, then remembered himself and halved his size before speaking. "You're wanted in the palace, in the Queen's drawing room. The Diaphanous have returned," he said at moderate volume. Feeling proud of his accomplishment, he puffed right up again.

Ursula's stomach flipped. She had hardly thought about the Diaphanous since the night of Nepp's death, and she still hadn't faced the queen. "Thank you. I'll be there shortly," she replied.

Just then, Barry peeked his head around Ursula's waist to inspect the small talking fish. "Stay, Barry," she commanded.

"Ooh, I've never seen one of those before!" blasted the blowfish. The lanternfish was already swimming forward, unable to contain his curiosity.

"Come no closer," Ursula warned them, extending a palm straight forward. The barracuda at her side was starting to squirm. "Barry..." she intoned. "Stay calm, Barry."

The over-eager pals continued to glide forward, albeit at a slower pace, and it proved too much for Barry. He took off after them, snapping his jaws furiously.

"You clownfish! You never listen, do you? How do you stay employed? How do you stay alive?!" Ursula screeched as she watched the chase unfold.

"Barry!" Amoret called out in her sweetest voice. He was too intoxicated by the hunt to obey even her. The three fish were zig-zagging across the domed ceiling now. "Split up, you two!" Amoret coached the clueless messengers.

Miraculously, they listened for once, and it bought them a few seconds' lead as Barry decided which one to pursue. As he zeroed in on the blowfish, Ursula burst out laughing. "Oh, the hell with it," she said out of the corner of her mouth to Amoret and Wemegreth. "Sic him, Barry!" she shouted.

"Ursula!" Amoret was genuinely horrified.

"What? I warned them! And I'd like to feel that Barry is obeying me for once," she argued.

Three upturned faces watched as Barry came to an abrupt stop. He was making a wretched raspy sound; Ursula finally registered it as laughter. Gross, she thought. The messengers had escaped and Barry was drifting down to Amoret's side.

"So you stopped...to defy me? Unbelievable!" Ursula exclaimed angrily. Amoret and Wemegreth dissolved into giggles, which made Barry rasp even harder. "I'll have to deal with you later, Barry," Ursula said severely. "I have places to be. Will you two be useful and work with him some more? Maybe do the chapter in the training guide that covers the command to stay?"

"Sure!" Amoret said cheerfully. Wemegreth nodded, smiling. And Barry, with no hint of a grin, appeared to wink at her.

The cheek of him! Smuggest fish I have ever met. Next time, I'll bite him. Ursula raged silently as she headed for the temple exit.