Pt. III--25. I don't know when, I don't know how

"It doesn't seem like enough. How could it ever be enough?" Ursula smiled shyly at the Squid Witch.

A pile of gifts sat between them: several bottles of spirits and Alphon's ill-fated collection of human inventions. Just hours after Alphon's demise, Ursula had privately asked Triton if she could dispose of the stuff, knowing full well it would anger Ganeon to be stripped of the opportunity to study the objects. "Let's spare your mother the pain of ever seeing these things again," she had said. Triton agreed.

Ursula nudged a gilded box forward. "I thought you'd like this. It goes with the general décor around here," she joked.

"Indeed it does." Siddikah forced a tight-lipped smile.

"I thank you with all my heart and soul for ridding us of Alphon yesterday. We'd have no real peace with him alive, plotting and planning and eventually attacking Atlantica."

"You're welcome, angelfish. He only got what he deserved. And you were wonderful at the hearing."

"You were there?" Ursula gasped.

"Of course I was. Just not in a form you'd recognize."

Ursula chuckled. "I bet my eyes passed right over you."

"Oh, they did." Siddikah was finally smiling in a genuine way. "I have to tell you, squirt, I killed him for my peace of mind as well as yours. He was getting far too bold in these Waters, hiring assassins and spies as if he ran the place. I run this place. Sometimes I have to issue a reminder. It'll be a long time before someone dares to stir up my territory again, I guarantee you. Besides, he had no idea what he was doing with those humans."

Ursula shivered involuntarily. The Squid Witch was more fearsome than the humans.

"So!" Siddikah barked as she got up to pace. "You really can't think of a way to thank me that would be enough?" Her face was severe again.

Ursula gulped. "Well, I-I know that..."

Siddikah cocked her head to the side, waiting.

"I know you want an apprentice! But Triton and I can finally be together! We've gone through so much to get to this point. How could I leave him now?" Ursula pleaded.

"You can be with King Triton now, eh? And you don't even have to change? Are you certain of that, squidlet?"

"Yes! I mean, sure, the sand needs to settle a bit. We will go public after the coronation, after some kind of routine is established at the palace."

"Oh? He must have taken the news about you turning him into a merman-cecaelian hybrid quite well, then."

Ursula couldn't meet her gaze.

"You haven't told him." Siddikah took wicked delight in all of this and Ursula resented it.

"I'm waiting for the right moment," murmured Ursula.

"Oh, minnow. Of course you are."

Ursula snapped. "He has declared his undying love to me. He is so thankful for all I've done. I've saved his life, and put my own on the line to see him reach the throne. So even this isn't going to change a thing."

"Alright, plum. In that case, I offer you my congratulations. And this gift, in honor of your victory. You've defeated Alphon and secured Triton for Atlantica as well as for yourself. That's no small feat." The sorceress extended her hand. In the center of her palm was a glistening nautilus shell strung on a simple black cord.

Ursula felt confused and anxious at this sudden change in Siddikah's manner. She took the shell gingerly into her own hand. "It's beautiful. Thank you. I don't own anything else like it."

"That's more true than you realize. It's enchanted."

"Oh? What does it do?" Ursula asked.

Siddikah smiled mysteriously. "I want you to figure that out. Have fun with it!"

Ursula inspected the shell closely, turning it over in her hands and holding it up to her ear.

"You've got the right idea!" Siddikah laughed. "But you're going to have to wear it quite a bit to unlock and control its power."

"I am?" Ursula's face fell momentarily, despite her careful efforts to be pleasant and obliging.

"Is that a problem?" huffed the Squid Witch.

"No...um, I just think it's kind of scandalous by Atlantican standards." She glanced apologetically at the sorceress, who looked displeased. "You know how the nautili are so revered in our temple. To wear the remains of a deceased nautilus...well, I've never seen it done." And surely you know this! Ursula thought with annoyance.

An uncomfortable silence arose between them.

"Sooo..." Ursula drawled. "Perhaps I won't wear it at the temple right away. But when I'm off duty, I'll wear it all the time!" She attempted a bright smile as she looped the necklace over her head and patted the shell. It lay alluringly between her collarbones.

Siddikah softened. "I knew it would look good on you. Perhaps you'll start a new trend, in time."

"Perhaps!" Ursula motioned to Flotsam and Jetsam, who rushed to her side. "Thank you for everything." She extended her arms to embrace Siddikah.

Siddikah hugged her tightly. "I have a feeling I won't see you for awhile," she murmured as they separated.

"Why do you say that?"

As usual, the Squid Witch answered as she wished. "Just come back and see me around your nineteenth birthday. Promise me that much."

"I will, if not before then. I promise."

"Goodbye, minnow. Good luck."

***

The public ceremony to install Triton on the throne was delayed two weeks to show respect for the late Prince Alphon. A small funeral was held three days after his death. Queen Galataye did not open the service up to the Atlantican public. She feared few would come, and meager attendance by common merfolk would be humiliating. Thus, only immediate family and dignitaries were welcome. Pacifica sent the largest contingent. 

The royal mother instructed her sons, very clearly, that Ursula was to stay away from the service. Both of them relayed their mother's wish via written message. They tried to be sensitive, stressing that only immediate family and diplomatic relations were invited, as if her exclusion was nothing personal. She knew better—no one else in Atlantica was going to receive two written messages from royal family members clarifying that they were unwelcome. All the same, she didn't mind. She didn't want to go and try to pretend to be sad. What if she and Ganeon had another giggling fit?

Then more notes arrived, each written in Triton's hand. Love notes. Sebastian arrived daily around the same time carrying a little scroll. In these missives, the new king declared his undying passion and loyalty, and promised her that they'd make their love known once he'd been officially installed on the throne. They would tell their families first, then all of Atlantica.

A week into Sebastian's deliveries, Ursula became curious. "Sebastian, why do I suspect you are staying with us past the coronation?" she asked as she took a tiny scroll from his claw.

"Because I am, madam," he replied in a rich voice. It startled her; she had never heard him talk before and the resonance of his speech didn't match the size of his body. "I'm to be part of His Majesty's court!" He puffed out his little red chest with pride.

"And what a fine court it will be! I'm so glad. I feel like you belong here with us."

He smiled and gave a funny salute before speeding away.

These were pleasant days for Ursula. Everyone plied her with food, no one more than Melisande. She came and went from work as she wished; it was more of a social event than actual labor. She played with Flotsam and Jetsam and enjoyed peaceful sleep. Two weeks of this began to fill her out again and bring the sparkle back to her eyes.

"Wear your pearls to the coronation." That's the last message she received from Triton, the day before the grand event. It made her swoon. He was commanding her to wear the secret symbol of their carnal bliss to the most public, important event of his life. What else do you command, King Triton? She couldn't wait to find out.