38. Sure I've had the odd complaint

Ganeon's research cemented Ursula's belief in Marielle's scheming, for it revealed that many centuries earlier, an Atlantican prince had married a Pacifican princess, and when that prince ascended to the throne, he banished all the Tentacled Folk from the kingdom under his wife's advice. That king later assigned the throne to his queen by written decree--so worshipful was he of her--so that when he died, a Pacifican mermaid ruled over Atlantica instead of their firstborn son doing so.

"How history repeats itself!" Ursula had cried upon hearing the story.

"Yes, but she did have a change of heart towards the end of her life, and the magical merfolk were welcomed back into the kingdom during her rule. By the time their son took over, the community was thriving again."

"Bah." Ursula swiped Ganeon's comment away. "We can't count on this one to have a change of heart. The only reason we know she has a heart is because she adores herself so thoroughly. There's no room left over for anything else...least of all my kind."

The prince laughed.

"Do you think this is funny?" Ursula snarled.

Ganeon flinched. "Of course not. You simply have a way with words. Tell me what you want me to do."

"I want you to ask your brother to run any and all documents by you before he signs them. Especially anything Marielle gives him. Can you get him to agree?"

"I believe so."

"Make it so!"

"I will, my love. There's...there's something I think you should do as well," he said haltingly.

"Let's hear it."

"You need to launch a charm offensive. I'm not sure what you're planning to do...how you're going to curtail Marielle. But you are going to need friends and allies to do it. She's a much beloved figure. You were once just as beloved."

"I remember," Ursula snapped.

"My point is...you can be that again! If you want your warnings about Her Awfulness to be taken seriously, you need be favored and trusted again. At least among the Tentacled. At least."

"Hmm. I've left them to their own affairs for some time now, because I've been so busy with this wretched mess. I suppose I could spend more time in the temple. After all, I'm doing all of this for them. To ensure they get to stay in Atlantica."

"Of course." Ganeon began to gather his research materials.

"Put that down," Ursula ordered. "I want to study the old decrees. I want to know exactly what goes into them."

"Of course."

***

The charm offensive was easy enough; everyone seemed so eager to be in her good graces. Cosmas and that homely little cuttlemaid that always followed him about stayed well out of her way, but they were polite when they did cross paths with the High Priestess. The only thing that was amiss was the Nautili. She scarcely saw them in the temple, and no one would tell her why.

On the very day the twins were born, she decided to seek Ephram's counsel on the matter.

"Come in, come in!" Ephram beckoned from the small door of his modest house. Ursula paused before entering. She could see her former home from his doorstep. It was strange to think it had been years since she had resided there. Violently, the memory of her first kiss with Triton rocketed into awareness. It had taken place in that home.

She almost felt sad. Almost.

"I hear you're making your rounds quite nicely these days," Ephram said over his shoulder, as he led the way to a spartan sitting room.