17. Yes, you want her (look at her, you know you do)

Ursula sat, wrapped in her cloak, on the largest of the whale-shaped rocks as darkness fell around her. She felt exuberant. She had seen herself in a mirror at Siddikah's, so she knew what Triton was about to encounter. And it had been great fun to swim like a mermaid to their meeting spot. After a minute of clumsy movements, she had figured out the kind of undulating motion she needed to adopt. She had experimented with spirals, flips, and wiggles all the way back to Atlantica. Barry had struggled to keep up.

Triton came into view, just a speck in the distance. Ursula rose, heart pounding wildly. But he stopped midway through his approach and studied her warily. She waved and he came a little closer. She beckoned him with her forefinger and cautiously, the prince came close enough to converse.

"I'm so glad you came, Triton."

"Ursula? Is that really you? What happened to your skin?!" he blurted out. "You're the same color as me! Are you ill?"

"Not quite the reaction I was hoping for."

"I mean, you look beautiful. Stunning! But--"

"Of course it's me! I told you to meet me here. Don't you recognize my voice? My face and hair?"

"Yes, but something's really—"

"What about my rings?" She extended a pale hand toward him, and he clasped it gently, glancing quickly at the jewels.

"Sure, but—"

"This is Barry, by the way. My new pet." Ursula motioned to the fish beside her.

"Just what is going on here? Is this some kind of prank?" Triton snapped.

Ursula looked around them. They appeared to be completely alone. She parted her cloak and slid it halfway down her back and arms, exposing the front of her body entirely. A sly, knowing smile graced her lips. She zeroed in on Triton's face to savor his reaction.

Triton opened and closed his mouth a few times, dumbstruck. She understood; Siddikah was indeed a master of her craft. Triton was looking at a mermaid of mind-boggling proportions, wearing only necklaces that concealed next to nothing. Her new scales were black, almost velvety in appearance, and when she moved, their iridescent borders caught the light. The ends of her fins were filmy, like a cloud of ink forever dissolving in the water. The hazy black was shot through with streaks of violet. Ursula was perfection, a dark and alluring angel.

"Does this seem like a prank to you? Is 'pranked' how you're feeling right now?" she teased.

"N-no."

Ursula brought her face within inches of his. The playfulness was gone. "Triton, look into my eyes. Can you doubt it's me?"

He was falling through the rings of those otherworldly irises and plunging into the twin pools of her pupils, which expanded like generous targets for him. Her eyes had been left untouched during the transformation. His pupils responded in kind, giving his face a hungry look that was thrilling to behold.

Triton was vanquished. They both knew it, and they both relished it. He didn't realize they had drifted up to the edge of the Uncivilized Waters until Ursula spoke again.

"There's someplace I want to take you. It's not far from here, and I can refresh your protection spell before we go."

Triton waved his hand distractedly, dismissing Ursula's mention of the spell. He stared at her, helpless, as she shrugged the cloak over her shoulders and closed the garment tightly around her.

"Well?" she asked.

Ursula knew that Triton should have agreed to protection. He should have asked more questions about what he was seeing, how it had been achieved, and where she wanted to take him. He should have reprimanded her for even speaking of the Uncivilized Waters.