Gifts & Regrets

*Tiffany's P.O.V.*

A Couple Weeks Later

This time Jackie made it out before Maurice so we stood on the curb talking, waiting for Maurice to come out.

Tiffany: how's the divorce going?

Jackie: that asshole wants to take everything & leave me with nothing.

Tiffany: what the hell isn't he rich?

Jackie: you get my fucking point! He's just pissed cause I wasn't going to keep playing wife, cooking his food and rubbing his feet while he fucked anything with a hole.

Tiffany: Men can kiss love into multiple tongues but tremble everytime you ask them to spell loyalty.

Jackie: I am SO using that quote in divorce court! Where'd you hear that?

Tiffany: this new book I'm reading called "Letters To My Sisters". You already know I'm going to let you borrow it when I'm done (laugh)

Jackie: thanks...

Silence.

Jackie: so does that quote apply to Maurice's father?

She asks with sincere eyes.

Tiffany: well.....the problem wasn't multiple women I guess you can say.

Silence.

Jackie: what's the best thing he's ever gave to you? (Smiling)

Maurice: mommy!

I quickly change my expression to a huge smile seeing Maurice quickly walk to us.

Tiffany: he gave me Maurice.

I grip my sons hand and give Jackie a quick smile as we all begin to walk home.

*Chris's P.O.V.*

I fly to Virginia to surprise my momma since I haven't seen her in forever and missed her like crazy. I drive up to her house and let myself in.

Chris: HEY MOMMA!

Momma Joyce: CHRIS?

She emerges from the kitchen and they hug each other tight.

Momma Joyce: I missed my baby so much.

Chris: I missed you more momma.

Momma Joyce: you want some cheesecake?

Chris: ugh! You know I want some cheesecake! Lay it on me!

She laughs as they walk into the kitchen. She cuts him a slice and they sit down on the table catching up.

Chris: oh I almost forgot to show you...

Chris pulls out his prototype wedding invitation. Momma Joyce's smile quickly leaves. She timidly holds the invitation in her hand unamused by it.

Momma Joyce: ugh.

She throws it back to him.

Chris: what was that for??

Momma Joyce: you could marry anyone Chris! Why her?

Chris: cause the one I want to marry is gone momma!

Momma Joyce sighs and looks away suspiciously.

Chris: Have you talked to her?

She hesitates.

Momma Joyce: no not really.

My eyes bulge. A glimmer of hope runs across my face.

Chris: what do you mean? It's a yes or no question what do you mean not really??

Momma Joyce: Chris I got the same letter her parents got when she left 5 in a half years ago -she said she was fine wherever she is.

I try to hide my disappointment on my face as my mom rubs my back. I wanted to bow down to Tiffany and take back the hurtful things I've done to her. Putting my hands on her, and believing Kae when she told me Tiffany got an abortion. I had no idea someone broke into her & Stacy's apartment and attacked them. No wonder she fuckin left! I'm a disgrace! Leaving her alone to mourn the death of our child & her bestfriend. I just need one more moment with her one more chance anything just to make peace, and if she doesn't want me.....I wish I could say I'll be okay with that.