Love In The Moonlight (Chapter 2)

By: Stacy Leonhardt Gravely

© All Rights Reserved - 2010

1.

Trying to calm her nerves, Kalee reached over and turned on the local country radio station. Still unable to shake that feeling that she was being watched she spoke out loud, "I know I at least heard something. Or is my mind just playing tricks on me?" Kalee knew she was more tired than normal, but she wasn't to the point of imagining things. Ali, Kalee's 18 month old daughter had been sick last night, so she didn't sleep much dealing with a fussy baby. Finally she just gave up on trying to figure out what she saw, guessing it was a stray dog hoping for some left overs from the bar.

A few minutes later Kalee pulled her old Mercedes up in the driveway of a old colonial style home. She lived in the building out back which was a converted garage to an apartment. After locking her car up she slipped through the back gate and walked up the steps of the bigger house. She lightly rapped on the door and opened the door quietly knowing her sister-in-law's kids are sleeping just above the kitchen. Making her way into the living room, her older brother Jake was sleeping on the couch with the television playing quietly in the back ground. "Hey Jake, I'm home." Kalee nudged him on the shoulder.

"Oh, hey Kay. How was work?" Rubbing his eyes, Jake sat up. Kalee still couldn't believe how much her and her brother resembled one another. He had her eyes and same color hair, only he was graced with no weight issues, able to eat his weight in anything without ever gaining an ounce.

"It was work, you know the usual. Nothing like dealing with string bean models and their childish attitudes! But hey, I got a large tip from their dates!" Kalee smiled, wiggling her eye brows. "Actually, one of the guys had some amazing eyes! Eyes that he couldn't keep off me!" Giggling Kalee, turned to see her daughter nestled under blankets in the portable crib in the corner. "But whatever. How was she?" Motioning to sleeping Ali nestled in blankets.

"She started to get a bit fussy. We gave her a bit of medicine like you said and Madison gave her a bath. That seemed to help her a bit."

"Tell Madi I said, thank you! You guys are my saving grace. I'll make sure I have your money for you tomorrow. But I'd better get her to bed." She spoke quietly walking towards the small crib.

"No prob, sis. Have a good night!"

"Night, Jake." With that Kalee scooped up Ali keeping her wrapped in blankets and carried her out back to their apartment.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­__________________________________________________________________________________

'Shit! I've scared her now.' Connor watched as the she hurriedly opened her car and slammed the doors shut. A light breeze had blown her scent toward him, he stood to smell her scent carried by the wind, meanwhile his weight against the twigs caused them to snap. As she started to drive away he followed through the wood area keeping his eyes on her all the time.

Connor paced her as she traveled down the highway, he loved the way a good run made him feel, free. Once he shifted he could push his body far beyond anything his human body could do. He could see his waitress tapping on the wheel singing a song, since he shifted his hearing became much more sensitive. She was singing along with a country song, if he was right it was "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts, her voice was heavenly to him.

A few minutes later her car stopped at a colonial home in a small town outside the city limits, he crept up the side of the house to peer in the window to see her talking with some guy laying on the couch. The man sat up off the couch and Connor had to do a double take. That man looked almost identical to "her", but he looked a few years older, then he over heard him telling her , "No prob, sis. Have a good night!" Connor was smacked into reality as she bent down and scooped up a bundle of blankets carrying it out the back door. 'She has a kid! Shit!'

He crept away until she was tucked away in her little apartment and he could peer in on her putting her child to sleep. After she left the baby's room he peer in the window at the child, Connor couldn't believe his eyes, the baby looked just as lovely as her mother. Connor couldn't help but wonder what their children would look like, would they have her eyes or his hair. But what Connor couldn't forget was he would have to get her to talk to him first not to mention drop the big bomb on her that he was a werewolf. She may never accept him after he revealed that. He knew it was a gamble but this was something he had to do.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Later that night Kalee dreamed of the eyes she thought she saw. She was walking through the woods and ahead of her saw they same eyes again. They were glowing green like emeralds, and this time they weren't just floating in the air as she saw them, they came closer and Kalee was able to make out what they were attached to... a wolf! Not just any ordinary wolf, but a MASSIVE one! Its shoulders reached hers and it was still a few head lengths taller than her. The wolf's fur was mostly gray with flakes of black through out. Kalee's instincts were telling her to run but something kept her from moving from that spot. She just continued to stare into the wolf's eyes they didn't appear to be threatening her or hunting her, more like interested in her and admiring her as she noticed its eyes would trace her body up and down. Kalee started to walk slowly towards the wolf with her hand extended just as she was about to touch it's down turned snout..... BEEP..... BEEP..... BEEP.

Kalee rolled over and looked at the alarm clock quickly turning the alarm off before it woke Ali up. It was 7 am, and time to get into the shower. Kalee crawled out of bed and quickly shuffled over to bathroom to turn on the water for the shower. She had a bunch to do today before dealing with her shift that evening. She hoped business would be good because she had a lot bills due. Kalee also hoped that prince charming would walk in and sweep her off her feet, but she knew better by now. What prince charming would want a woman with a daughter? Kalee pushed through the idea knowing not to expect fairy tales to come true for her, she had to live in reality for her daughter's sake.