Some Historical Figures who Suffered from Depression

1. Abraham Lincoln ( 16th President of the United States ).

Suffered from 2 major depression break downs at the age of 26 & 31. In his days it wasn't called 'depression' yet - then it was called 'Melancholy'. While having depression he was calling himself 'the most miserable man living' ( does it ring a bell? - If you or someone you know ever felt like that for more than 2 weeks non stop - it's something more than 'sadness'. It's alarming! They need help! ) You may not know that about him but his friends were saying that in those days 'His melancholy dripped from him as he walked' & he was thinking of a suicide ( which is quite common for people in their deepest depression stage ).

So what was his way to deal with depression? - His Sense of Humour! :D

( that really helps! - he liked to tell jokes & funny stories, anything that could boost his mood! :) )

He was saying that "If he wasn't telling those jokes - he would die' so sense of humor Saved his Life! He also loved poetry & believed in an important purpose of his life. ( He had it indeed! - He became the President of USA, right?  ^_~ ).

2. Georia O'Keeffe ( 1887 - 1986 )

Was an American painter who suffered some periods of depression in her life. At the age of 46 she was admitted to hospital with symptoms of anxiety & depression such as being unable to eat or sleep ( people with such an insomnia suffer the most because they not only suffer during the day, but also at night because they can't rest & lack of sleep has a bad impact on your mood, thinking & concentration ). The reasons of her breakdown was being a perfectionist & being afraid of public failure. She also found out that her 23-year older than her husband had an affair with a woman who was almost 20 years younger than her! ( Right, being cheated, heartbroken & unhappy in love is a very common reason of depression - but remember, Dear Ladies! - No Man is Worth Losing Your Health Because of Him! ). 

And what was her way to deal with depression? Her Art ( yes, some of you may have heard of Art Therapy ) & travelling ( when you are unwell doctors tell you to 'change your environment' sometimes - so seems that there is something in it!  ^_~ ). As you could see she lived Very Long - almost 99 Years! So she found a way to win with her depression & didn't give up! 😃

 As you could see she lived Very Long - almost 99 Years! So she found a way to win with her depression & didn't give up! 😃

3. Virginia Woolf ( 1882 - 1941 )

An English writer & one of the foremost modernists of twentieth century.

She suffered from a few mental breakdowns in her life. Her first depression started after a sudden death of her mother & her step sister ( so the reason here was: losing a close person ). But they say that another cause might have been being molested by her brothers  ( & I believe that, cause even some Wattpad using girls have 'being molested' connected with their depression, as their very detailed bios say ). After her father's death she suffered from a very serious depression & had to be taken to hospital in 1904. Her later breakdowns influenced her life & career & eventually led her to suicide at the age of 59.