Thanks to Science

I screamed a little and Chayton pushed harder against the door.
"I can't hold em back!" He calls back towards me his voice strained. I ran over to the door and tried to help him close it but wasn't really helping.
BANG
"GUYS LEMME IN!! THEY'RE GETTING CLOSER!" Grant voice shouted from the other side of the door. Chayton and I both backed off immediately and grant fell through and quickly bolted the door behind him. He sat on the ground his back against the door panting, Chayton and I exchanged looks of confusion.
"But, you're dead." I said bluntly kinda exasperated. Grant looked up at both of us.
"What? No I'm not, those zombies are insane. Jeez." I looked grant up and down, he seemed to be untouched by anything. Chayton helped him up and they bro hugged, I quickly joined in on the hug after a second happy to have some friends. Chayton took us into the main area and I stopped short while Chayton flopped down on a couch. I looked around in awe and noticed Grant next to me doing the same thing. The place looked like everything but a military base, is ha an almost resturaunt like kitchen, a movie theatre living room, and halls that I assumed lead to bunkers and a basement.
"Rick! We need some more sneakers and some more weapons from the lab!" Chayton shouted down the hall. A tall teenager jogged into the living room. His hair was black and messy and he did resemble Rick from school. He was wearing a white tank top and jeans that were smudged with grease and he looked tiered.
"Sup noobs, welcome to our abode, follow me." He spoke like we were just old compadres but we followed him down some stairs into a lab like basement.
"Did I just walk into Frankenstein's layer?" I asked with a comic tone. Rick slid across a table over to another table that was strewn with sneakers.
"Shoe sizes?" Rick demanded.
"6 and 1/2" I answered quickly. Rick tossed me a pair of running shoes and then came over and watched me put then on.
"See here," he tapped the front of the shoe and I nodded, "if ya ever find yourself weapon less hit your heal on the ground and a spike'll pop outa the front." He stepped back gesturing with his hands for me to try it. I quickly knocked my right heel on the ground and a menacing looking spike popped out of the front. "Thanks to science." He smirked smugly.
"Science is amazing!" Grant piped up looking around the  lab.
"Yea this is great and all, how do I make it go back?" I asked rationally holding my foot away from myself in fear of spearing myself. Rick demonstrated by hitting his heel on the ground again, this made his spike pop out then he tapped  his heel again and the spike retracted back into the shoe. I did as he did and my spike also retracted into my shoe like it was never there.
"Cool!" I exclaimed. Rick still had a smug look on his face when he went over to help Grant with his shoes. While the two boys were busy I decided to look around the lab, the first room I entered had spare metal bits some welders and a work bench, the next room was full of strange pots and smelled a little funny.
'Meth lab.' I thought, I made myself laugh. The final and last room I enter was filled to the brim with weapons. Every wall way covered with shelves and every shelf was overflowing with guns, knives, and the sort. My jaw was open while I stared at all the cool weaponry, I was never one of those kids who would go out and shoot guns, but I always liked them. Grant walked in behind me and I heard him gasp as soon a he saw the room. The floor was scattered with clips and ammo. Rick came in and stood in front of us.
"Welcome to my pride and joy!" He exclaimed cheerily. "Choose any of them! Rules here are, two knives must be with you at all time, and something easy to grab." My eyes skirted the shelves looking for something that caught my fancy. I finally decided on a switchblade that was gold with black dragon designs and a silver butterfly knife, I then kept looking through all the guns for something easy to grab like a katana or some pistols, or something. Grant had chosen three knives and a gun. I suddenly saw something that was different from the rest and I grabbed it. The bat was metal and surprisingly light, it was shiny too.
"That's one of my favourites!" Rick exclaimed. I looked at him a little confused and he took the baseball bat from my grasp. Rick flipped the bat upside down and showed me a button that would be easy to hit when holding the bat. Intrigued I snatched the bat from him and held it like I was about to hit a zombie, then I hit the button and the bat completely morphed! Well it was still a bat but it was suddenly loaded with sharp objects that could impale easily. I grinned a huge somewhat serial killer like smile and looked at Rick who also had glowing eyes. I tapped the button again and it returned to its normal style.
"Thanks to science" I grinned and Rick smiled triumphantly.
I walked into the living room after changing into the "required clothes" in my bunker room. The white tank top was a little baggy on me but it was better than nothing. I also had taken the time to wash up a bit clean some wounds and brush my hair. When I walked out into the living room I heard Chayton explaining to Grant their system here, I sat down and listened too.
"And everyday we have a different person on patrol to keep the zombies here," he was saying, "There's, Rick who does Monday's. Cody, yea Cody from school, he does runs for stuff we need, he's out getting more medical supplies right now. Kruz works Tuesday's, that's who's out there right now. I work Wednesday's and then we usually decide that last three days up to the people who have done the least amount of chores but now that you guys are here, Meadow you can take Wednesday's, and Grant you can have Thursday's." He paused to breathe in whilst Grant and I nodded. "We've pretty much been stock piling since this all started, the only reason Cody, Kruz and I came here is we wanted to meet up with the group on Alcatraz. We decided this place was safer." I nodded and then saw something out of the corner of my eye. Rick was in the kitchen snacking.
"What are you doing?" I snapped shocking him and making him look at me with a mouth full of chips.
"Shnackin'" he mumbled his mouth still quite full.
"We have enough." Chayton chimed in.
"Yea and what about the day you don't have enough and you have to bail from here as quick as you can?" I retorted. Rick nodded, swallowed his chips, and put the bag away. I smiled proud of myself for being so assertive.
"How many have you lost Meadow?" Chayton asked after a bit of awkward silence. I was startled by this question but decided to answer,
"Um lets see, the bomb took 10? And then two disappeared, then 7 at Alcatraz. So 19ish? Of our original group of 22." Chayton looked a little pitiful so I looked away.
"Of our original group of 15 Kruz, Cody, and I are all that's left. Rick was alone when we met him." I nodded suddenly realizing the  true grief I have been running from, I didn't wanna cry, not here but we are children after all.
Cody came back later that evening whilst I was cooking dinner for us all. Everyone sat down at the table and I served them all some KD and an extra bowl to take out to Kruz. We all sat and ate and talked while Cody told us stories of how he ha narrowly escaped death twice on his run.
After some talking I picked up the extra bowl and went out the frontier door into a heavily fenced area that looked like a patio with killer zombies trying to get into it. Kruz sat on a bench and was just shooting them through the holes in the chain link. I set the bowl next to him and left quickly avoiding awkward conversation.
It was late and Kruz had finally come back inside and washed his dishes, I was honestly still glad there was running water and electricity here. That meant good all around, I decided to make myself at home.