Chapter 11

I do not attend the funeral I do not feel it would be appropriate plus I was done with seeing and hearing about death in my life. Instead I sat at the top of the steps and just waited. I just looked out to the plains and pondered on the thing Galadriel told me. I thought about going out of the gates and just howling to see what would happen. I fiddled with the ring on my finger. I thought it would be annoying but it seemed to fit so perfectly that it didn't bother me. Someone comes and sits beside me. I half expect it to be Legolas but it's the young lad from before.
"That's a nice ring where did you get it?" He asked.
"It was my mothers."
"Was she an important person or something because that looks pretty nice."
"I guess you could say that."
"You know I meant what I said before you are really pretty."
"Kid I'm way to old for you," I sat back on the steps and watched the sun, not directly, go down.
"I'm not a kid and surely you can't be you look what 25. I'm only 23."
"Flattering, try 300."
"What?" He seemed like he didn't believe me I didn't care if he did or not. "No you can't be."
"I'm an elf buddy it happens."
"Well you look 25 so does that make it better." I rolled my eyes he really didn't quite did he.
"Look kid you have zero chance," I stood up and turned to him.
"Am I at least making an impression?"
"None."
"Will you think about it."
"Nope."
"Why not?"
"You know that elf guy from before the one you seemed so scared of." He gulped and nodded. "He is mine. You know what that means. You have zero chance because I'm taken." He stood and sheepishly wandered back to the hall.

I turn and see Gandalf carrying a kid and other on a horse. I rush down and help. Once in the Golden Hall Éowyn gets the two kids some food. They eat hungrily at the table whist Éowyn talks to them. She stands.
"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the wildmen are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree," she says.
"Where's mama?" The little girl says.
"Shh..."
"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children," Gandalf says. He leans forward and puts a hand on Théoden's chair. Théoden looks at his hand warily. "You must fight."
"You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king," Aragorn says. Éomer must have been the horsemaster from before.
"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now. Éomer cannot help us. I know what it is that you want of me. But I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war," Théoden says.
"Open war is upon you. Whether you would risk it or not."
"When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan." Aragorn not Théoden knows what he is talking about. I wanted to say that but I knew Aragorn was just going to get angry at me if I did. Gimli burps and I look at him with disgust.
"Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf asks. Théoden is silent for a bit and I can just hear Gimli eating. I sometimes wished I didn't have heightened hearing.
"We take refuge at Helm's Deep. Háma inform the people," that was Théoden decision. The guard who told us to give up our weapons before moved. He must be Háma. I was slowly learning names. Aragorn soon moves, I follow closely behind.

Outside Háma is informing the people. "By order of the king, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourselves with treasures. Take only what provisions you need." People start gathering belongings and moving out. I follow Aragorn and Gandalf down towards the stables Legolas beside me and Gimli behind us.
"Helm's Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king," Gimli argues catching up to us a little better.
"He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past," Aragorn answers. We enter the stables.
"There is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Théoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defences HAVE to hold," Gandalf informs. Great that sounds just wonderful we are going to be cornered.
"They will hold," Aragorn says sure of himself.
"The Grey Pilgrim... that's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now I have no time. With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East," Gandalf says stroking Shadowfax. Aragorn opens the gates.
"Go." Legolas jumps back as Gandalf rides out of the stable. Aragorn notices Éowyn and walks to her.
"There is a young lad that keeps looking at you Alea," Gimli tells me.
"Yes I am fully aware of that, thank you."
"Poor lad," Gimli says looking at Legolas. I raise an eyebrow.
"How so?"
"Elf boy will kill him before he can get anywhere near you," Gimli says gesturing to Legolas. I roll my eyes at him as he glares to Connor who quickly runs away.
"He'll be dead by my blade if he tries anything," I say. Jumping on the horse and helping Legolas up who smiles. The people of Rohan move out towards Helm's Deep.