Prologue

"I can't afford it.", it was barely a whisper. Hazel eyes so much similar to mine stared into my glassy ones, filled with regret.

"I'm sorry, I can't deal with this", saying so she ran out of the room, hoping I wouldn't see how much this tore her inside. But of course, I saw it.

No body actually notices it, but I'm very observant. I notice things, with my calculating eyes, but I don't say anything. Reading facial expressions and telling if a person is lying. I could to that very well.

And she thought that I didn't notice the tears fast running down her face? Of course I did. Nothing is hidden from me.

My mother was broken by this announcement that was made a few moments ago. But me? I was getting prepared because I knew, that nothing could be done to improve this situation, what could be done was way out my reach. Or my mother's. That broke her more than anything.

I swallowed hard and turned my attention to Dr.Smith, who was staring at the door my mother had just escaped from, a few minutes back.

"I'll leave now", I declared. Blue eyes expressed concern for my welfare, as Dr.S offered me a sad smile, handing my file back to me.

"Take care Madison. And go console you mother, I hope she handles it well."

Smiling at him, I murmured a quite thank you, and walked out of his office as fast as I could.

Walking to the exit of the hospital, I squirmed as nurses around me stopped to shoot me a sympathetic smile, or pat my back as I passed them.

I turned the corner and ran to the ladies' washroom, locking myself in a stuffy stall.

Pulling the toilet lid down, I sat there, trying to catch my breath.

In. Out. In. Out.

My mind chanted as I took long deep breaths.

Unlocking the door, I stepped out, looking at myself in the mirror.

Tucking stray brown strands, that had somehow escaped my messy ponytail, I scanned my face, only one thought running through my  head.

I am Madison Parker and I am  terminated with cancer. And I have exactly a year more to live.