part 5

Rigby was bundled up in the comforter, a thermometer in his mouth and fighting sleep. Benson was writing something on a clipboard as Mordecai had been sent off to wait with the others for their duties of the day.

The thermometer beeped and Benson grabbed it. "101.5. Fever. Looks like your taking a sick day." There was no sigh to indicate his irritation, but Rigby could still hear it in his voice.

" 'M sorry..." He whimpered, his voice breaking due to it being dry. He needed water.

"Don't apologize! You can't help you're sick. I just don't like having one of my employees sick or out of commission." His tone softened significantly. "It worries me."

Rigby shuffled deeper into the covers as a response. Benson looked at him with a small, worried frown. "Will you feel better if I have Mordecai on house duty today?"

Rigby thought for a moment before nodding. It would help him feel better if his friend was around the house, there for him at a moments notice rather than all the way across the park.

He looked blearily up at Benson who scribbled something on the clipboard before nodding. He took a walky-talky from his belt pocket and placed it on the table by the bed. "I'll give one to Mordecai too, use it in emergencies only. Do you understand me?"

Rigby nodded again, already wondering what constituted as an emergency.

Before he could think too long his stomach started to churn again. He was just queasy, not nauseous yet but it was uncomfortable.

"Well I have to go now, do you need anything?" Benson started for the door, expecting Rigby to shake his head.

"Could I get some water?" Rigby croaked, pushing himself into a sitting position with his arms.

The humble request almost put a smile on Benson's face. "Yes. I'll be right back." He walked out the door, leaving Rigby alone for the first time since he got sick.

Rigby immediately felt the loneliness. His stomach rolled more in fear than sickness. Scenarios ran through his head of what could go wrong. He was only snapped out of his thoughts when Benson was right beside him, nudging him slightly. "Rigby? Did you fall asleep sitting up?"

Rigby jumped, almost making Benson drop the cup of water he was holding. "Woah! Calm down, it's just me. You really are out of it aren't you?"

He placed the cup in Rigby's hand and helped him hold it steady as he sipped at the cool water. Five sips in and Rigby had to put it on the table too or risk puking in front of Benson. "Thank you."

"Anything else?" Why did Benson sound so worried?

"No."

"Alright. Remember, only call Mordecai in an emergency." With a swift nod, Benson left.

Rigby picked the trashcan off the ground and held it in his lap, leaning over it in preparation for the flood that was about to come.

A burp sent him over the edge and he was puking up water and bile into the can. He was so glad it wasn't getting on the sheets this time. It only took a few minuets for the heaves to die and he was left spitting the remainder of the bile off his lips.

Just as he placed the can back on the floor, the walky-talky made a noise and a voice came out of it, "hey dude you still awake?" Mordecai?

Rigby fumbled for it, almost dropping it when it was heavier than expected. He pushed the button and croaked out a small, "hey dude."

"Hey! I got house work today so I'll be close by if you need anything! We can chill together during my break too!"

"That's cool," he really wanted to sleep right now.

"You don't sound very excited."

" 'M just tired."

"Alright, I'll let you sleep. You know how to reach me if you need anything."

Rigby placed the object back on the table then laid back down and shuffled into the covers. Today was going to be a long day.