Chapter 31

The moment that my sister mentioned that Riley wasn't with them, I felt myself beginning to panic. I feared that something could happen and, of course, something did. One of my best friends was stuck out there, in a world full of monsters. I was scared for her well-being and angry at Stella and Tyler for leaving her behind. What were they even thinking? They knew how dangerous it was out there. 

For once, I couldn't keep my cool. I could see the distraught look on their faces, but that didn't matter to me right now. "Where's my friend? Why the hell would you two leave her behind?" 

Stella seemed too shaken to answer me. Tyler was trying his best to calm her down, but he answered me. "We didn't leave her on purpose. We ran into some trouble, and then she ran off. It wasn't as if we didn't try to stop her, either. Stella was calling out for her, and we even tried to go after her. But the horde that we ran into separated us. It would have cost us our lives if we kept trying to follow after Riley."

I clenched my fists. I understood that the situation was out of their control. I didn't want them to lose their lives, but I couldn't stop thinking about Riley. She was alone right now. She would be scared out there by herself and I was worried that something terrible would happen to her. I didn't want to lose one of my friends. 

Alex put a hand on my shoulder and gently squeezed. "Aiden, she's a smart person. Riley would have found somewhere to hide and when it's morning again, then I'm sure that she will try to return here if she's able to."

Alex was the voice of reason right now. I knew that he was right. Though, I also knew that anything could happen. There was no guarantee that the place she tried to hide was safe. It could have been infested with those things, or with people who would cause her harm. Thinking about it made me want to go out there and search for her now. I want to find her and bring her back safely. But, based on what Tyler said, there was a horde out there. I could risk running into those same monsters. 

"We'll head out to search for her first thing in the morning, I promise," Xavier said. 

He said that, but it didn't calm the storm raging in my heart. There was no way that I would be able to rest knowing that Riley was out there. The morning seemed so far away, but there was nothing that I could do right now. I had to stay here and wait for the sun to rise again. Unfortunately, it was the safest option. 

Our group dispersed, with Xavier and Arin going to tend to their friends. Despite knowing they were correct, I still felt annoyed that I would have to stay here. Whether anyone joined me or not, I would leave first thing in the morning. I knew it was stupid, but part of me wanted to leave this instant.

Caitlyn noticed my distress. She shot me a glare. "I hope that you're not thinking about leaving right now. I know you, so I know that the look on your face means you're thinking about trying to be a hero. But please, try to think about this. Do you know how upset Riley will be if you get hurt trying to save her? She already lost her mom. Don't make her lose you, too." 

"As Xavier said, we'll leave first thing in the morning. We've been around that guy long enough to know he wouldn't leave anyone behind. Wherever Riley is right now, I'm sure that she's safe. So for tonight, let's go upstairs and try to get some rest." Alex then put an arm around my waist and began to guide me towards the stairs. My sister followed behind shortly after. 

Going back to our room felt wrong. I wished that there was more that I could do than this. Once back in the apartment, the dog we had found when we first arrived here came running to greet us. Tending to the dog had become my mom's responsibility. Food for it was one of the things that we were able to pick up, at least. It was also a good thing that the dog didn't make much noise. 

When my mother saw us enter the room, she stood up. She looked relieved to see us, but I could also see the grief on her face. She knew that Riley wasn't with us. She approached me, then grabbed my hands. 

"Aiden, I'm so glad that you've returned. When I heard the news about Riley, I was afraid that you and Alex might not come back either." She squeezed my hands and the look on her face became stern. "You're not allowed to leave here again. I understand how much she means to you, but you promised that this would be the last time that you go out for a while. The others will be searching for her, and her father already left to go find her. Some people will be looking for her, so please, stay here." 

I tore my hands out of her grasp. "I may have said that, but this isn't fair. Riley is my friend and you're telling me to abandon her?" 

"You won't be abandoning her. Staying here isn't you giving up on her. Just let the others find her." My mother let out a sigh. "Aiden, as your mother, I am commanding you to stay here."

This annoyed me. I understood her intention to keep me safe, but I wouldn't sit back while my friend was out. "I'm also an adult and can do as I please." I tsked and rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

I didn't wait for her to say another word or for anyone else to interject. I already knew that they were all against me leaving. I stormed away from my group and went to my room, slamming the door behind me.  

━━━━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━━━━

I waited until everyone was asleep before getting out of bed. Alex slept beside me, and when I peeked out of the room, I didn't see anyone else awake either. I knew that I was being foolish leaving in the dead of night like this, but I couldn't put my mind at ease. Staying here was making me feel guilty and I knew that this feeling would get worse if something did happen to Riley. I needed to do something.  

I carefully made my escape out of the apartment. When I reached downstairs, I would grab something that I could potentially use as a weapon and a flashlight. One of the things that we were fortunate to find at the grocery store was a flashlight and some batteries. That would make venturing out in the dark a little easier. 

Once I reached the bottom of the steps, I saw that I wasn't alone. Leaning up against the wall was Arin. I thought that perhaps he was here just for his night watch, but I noticed that he looked ready to leave this place. He had his backpack and when he saw me, he held his hand out to me. In it, he held a knife for me to take. Slowly, I accepted the weapon from him. 

"I figured that you would be leaving to find Riley. I'm going to come with you," Arin explained. 

"Thanks. You don't have to, though. You've already done so much to help me." I said this, but I couldn't deny that I appreciated the company. Going out there alone scared me. 

He shrugged. "Well, I want to help you again. If you want, you can always pay me back in the future."

"How?"

Arin smirked at me. "I'll think of something. Now come on. Let's go find your friend."

I followed him as we left the apartment building together. Having him by my side helped to calm down my nerves. Instead, it seemed as though my heart was now beating quickly for another reason.