Prologue

Gary Part could be smiling straight at me and I was still sad. The blonde singer in the TV was shaking his head to the beat of the drums, grinning sheepishly at a crowd of screaming girls and annoyed boyfriends. Gary wasn't even cute and with the name "Gary", who knew how long he would last.
"Curse Emma. Curse Stacey. Curse Penelope." Jenna growled, angrily picking up random things like the China vase that mom loved so much, and misplacing it.
If Jenna and I were in a movie, Jenna would probably fit perfectly in the role of the annoying grumpy good sister turned goth. In fact, she was already that.
"If you hate them so much, why don't you just stop trailing after them?" I flicked a strand of brown dull hair over my shoulder and started putting things back where they belong.
"It's not like that, Kylie. You wouldn't know. Your a freshmen." She said the word "freshmen" like it was a piece of trash. A very annoying piece of trash.
"Well sorry for trying." I snapped, putting down the tattered pillow back on the couch, scattering over to the kitchen. I placed my head on the counter, the cold marble tensing my forehead. The Razai's were expected to take over Kais in a few days, bombing the monuments and fighting for land. It wasn't like Razai wasn't big enough. They just wanted more power. More control. I struggled to pick up the television remote, switching off the TV, Gary Part's auto tuned voice disappearing abruptly.
Jenna sneered at me. She was so in love with the too old blonde singer. But Jenna didn't argue. She kept on muttering her curses on her so called friends and finally settled down to sit next to me.
"Do you think that Razai's are stupid?" Jenna asked, her voice slightly softening.
"Jenna, we're not supposed to talk about that." I paused, seeing her face cold and frozen. "Either stupid or really advanced." I finally answered. My body tensed after I said that.
"Stupid Razai's." Jenna cried, loud enough for the neighbors to hear."
I agreed with her. Why would those rich people want a small town like Kais. The ground wasn't at the least fertile and the air smelled like gas all the time. It was a corrupted town that I was unfortunate enough to be born in. Kais. The land of the worst. But I hugged Jenna anyways, this could be my last hug.

A day later. Breaking news. The arrival of the Razai's. Stupid Razai's. Mom and dad told us to stay home while they went to the convenience store for the maybe last time. They came back with bottles and bottles of soda and chips. Not a single can of sardines or even fresh water. Like we were going to watch a movie while half the town was ablaze.
Jenna didn't give up trailing after Emma, Stacey and Penelope. If she died, she was going to die being remembered as that goth girl who would tag along with the cool kids.
Abigail, my best friend, my only friend, decided to run away with her family to another country. I bet she was dead. Dead with another thousand of people on the borders.
I was still alive. Duh. But I didn't feel alive. I felt dead. I didn't want to live. I felt soulless. The Razai's were definitely taking their time. Making the Kais people suffer from pain and sorrow of losing someone.

A week later, the Razai's still weren't attacking. But they cut out our water source and electricity source. They knew how to destroy our resources. The television was also cut off and nobody could contact each other. It was devastating, waiting and waiting. Although people should ask themselves what they were waiting for. Death. Suffering. War.
Jenna and I were on a no talking state. No contact means no talking. Less communication means less sadness when one dies. Opposite for what mom and dad thought. They believed that if we stick together and enjoy life while we have it, we will get through this. But I could hear mom weeping every night, dad praying and Jenna breaking things. I would just twist and turn in bed. Every night. This was worse than a knife through the throat. This was torture.

No comment on today. Darkness. Screams. Fire. They had attacked.
-------------------------------------------------------
Cliff hangers... okay, so I hope you guys enjoyed the prologue. Get ready for the ride of your life. If you're reading this, comment your favorite paragraph, or day as it is arranged. Thanks for reading! Bai~